Handover experience in the UK

Mar 20, 2023
What was your experience of collecting your brand new formentor? How did the dealer handover the car? Interested in hearing your experience as mine was underwhelming and disappointing! UK buyer.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
As mine is leased it was delivered, the chap was with me for over an hour going over the car and going through everything. He would probably have been there even longer if I hadn't said I needed to get to an appointment.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
Like @marjohn56 my leased VZ2 was delivered, had very good comms from the driver and he ran through some basics. I offered to drop him to the station, which he gratefully accepted. Absolutely no issues at all. What went wrong with your delivery?

marjohn56

May 31, 2014
London
I do remember when I picked up a new BMW 320 back in 2000, I was a bit underwhelmed then, I half expected a bottle of bottle of champagne or something.. all I got was a here are your keys sir and a 10 minute handover. A new SAAB in 2003 was a little better, I got coffee and biscuits. The worst was a new Lexus in 2006 - had to wait for 2.5 hours as they had not completed the PDI on time then a quick 5 minutes handover. Since then I've always leased and every time the driver has been excellent.

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
Handover of my clubsport comprised of them passing my key through a window whilst I stood outside. Joys of lockdown

Reactions: Seastormer

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Handover was “its in the car park, if you need anything then give me a shout”. But to be fair I didn’t need any help, my gripe was the dealer has no handover booth so car was wet.

Mar 20, 2023
From the replies, sounds like I was over expecting! In my mind I thought I'd get the car in a dedicated handover area with a bottle of wine and some photographs. Instead it was driven to the forecourt wet and handed over to me with a quick walkthrough on setting up the cupra connect app

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My preference has always been a low key handover. I hate the grand unveiling in the showroom where the car is hidden under a cover. That cover is probably grit contaminated after being dumped on the floor from previous ‘grand unveilings of other customer’s cars, so there’s a risk of it inflicting scratches and swirls as it’s dragged across the car’s paintwork. I always ask for my new car not to be given the ‘grand unveiling’.

Not Cupra, but with VW IMHO the quality of handover process has deteriorated over the years. With my last three cars (all VW’s);
  • mk6 VW Golf GTD in 2011, the freebie was a decent bottle of bubbly; handover took place in a dedicated handover booth where the sales person did a very thorough job and went through all the features of the car in great detail.
  • VW Polo GTI in 2016; handover in a warehouse type building behind the showroom that the dealer used to prep cars for sale. No walkthrough of the car’s features and freebies were a key ring, pen and insulated mug; all VW branded
  • VW Polo GTI+ in 2020; no handover as such (it was just after the first COVID lockdown) and because of COVID the dealer wasn’t giving out any freebies. Car was parked outside and I was just given the keys.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Leased, so mine was a guy basically giving me a couple of sets of keys on the doorstep, and then rushing off to meet his mate who was waiting for him in a car up the road.

Much preferred over the song and dance of having it under a cover in the dealership. If I was buying a Ferrari then maybe, but for a Cupra or similar it's really just a bit cringe.

Tmat

Jan 26, 2023
I had to go collect mine and it was in the forecourt covered with a white sheet. In the boot was a bottle of champagne and the case with manual and spare key. I was set up on the Connect app and infortainment system, shown what does what, had a drive around as I was nervous about driving an automatic for the first time all the way home on my own. He was even patient with me as I hard braked a few times.

When I got there I asked how long the handover would last and he said about an hour. I think it lasted just over an hour. He even took pics of me with the car I was selling to them and my new Formentor.

My brother works for a dealership and was amazed that was the treatment I got because they don't do that where he works. The cars are left outside and the handover is very brief with no gifts at all.

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
Picking mine up on Friday. Hopefully it will be a similar experience to yours!

dvinell

Jul 27, 2011
Our handover was in a Portacabin because the dealership was being rebuilt.
I turned around to refill my plastic water glass, and the water machine wasn't there any more ... contractors had taken it away.
Having said that, the sales guy was helpful and very knowledgeable, and gave us a very good handover with clear explanations about how everything worked.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I worked with a guy who if he could would arrange the delivery/handover on his day off, so on his working days he was free to deal with new customers, boss got wise to that after we all started doing the same.