Happy days!

f1nn

Aug 20, 2006
A few people on here will probably know that I've been less than complimentary about the "performance" part of my 16v GTI.

When I bought the car it had mint, 1k old 205/45R16 tyres on the ronal multispokes, I knew these were not the correct size but thought I would stick with them and get my monies worth. I was also told that it had a recent kwik **** exhaust fitted.

While I liked the car, it didn't perform like I would expect, it felt torquey but dull. There is a stretch of dual carriageweay near me which is staright, with no entries or exits, just a mile long stretch with a roundabout at either end. Its in the middle of no where so no chance of anyone being about.

When I first got the car I took it there ang give the car its head, red line in 4th gear, 120 ish, into 5th back on the power, 120..........120...........120............120.5............121, it felt like that was it. Not what I expected at all.

So i left it like that for 6 months before deciding to swap to 20VT rims with the correct profile 195/45R16, the car feels transformed, better pick up, even the once stodgy handleing and turn in feels better once the correct pressures were put in, Result!

Then I decided a 20VT exhaust might be better, so I sourced one and fitted it this morning. on inspection the kwik **** was very poor, 16v are supposed to be the same diameter as the 20vt at 55mm? well the standard one would fit inside the 20VT and have space to rattle about, 45mm at most! It was also very poorly made from very **** steel, as I mullered it taking it off.

So the 20VT exhaust fitted up and properly lined up, with tailpipe sitting level about 5mm below the standard rear valance, no leaks, time for a road test.

Hmmm, nice note at idle, certainly seems to pull better, sounds good, right empty dual carriage way, 2 junctions to home, press a bit harder, look down 125 ****, certainly never felt it accelearte like this, should I slow down or be abit naughty? one junction left, no one about, **** it lets see, 130......132......134........135..............................136................................137 indicated, theres not much left, junction coming up, thats enough brake and turn off.

Dont get me wrong, I'm 28 and no boy racer and rarely go above 85-90, but at last I feel the car is performing like it should, with modifications that have cost me next to nothing but made big differences.

Big thumbs up.

f1nn

Aug 20, 2006
Ha, martin, it probably was!

I'm in the process of fitting a mk3 cupra interior to try and make it a bit more modern looking inside, just the front door cards to sort then thats finished, already got the mk3 steering wheel.

Keeping to the "make cheap but effective changes as the cars worth 2k tops" plan, I can lay my hands on a std mk3 cupra front ARB, am I right in thinking that there is a benefit, ie. its thicker?

f1nn

Aug 20, 2006
Nice one, I'll throw that on then.

Off to the ring later in the year, so my next stage is rebuilding the brakes with new disks and pads, braided hoses and new fluid, hopefully another cheap but effective change.

Rear spacers? what cost and where from? worth it I take it?

Suspension I'm trying to stay away from, as I dont want to lose the ride quality.

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Rear spacers are worth it. Bill does some 15mm hub centric ones, i think they are about £80 but the car handles better with them.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
the 15's on mine certainly made a difference, i think people who like abit of speed then stick 17" or larger wheels are abit thick? ok we mite only be talking 10ths of a second or 2/3 mph but every bit helps lol!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.