Has FR TDi changed tax band?

Gw19

May 25, 2004
Southampton
Hello
I have been a member for sometime on seatcupra, but i haven't posted anything before.
I am currently looking at getting a new 3dr Ibiza FR TDi. One of the things that made it appeal to me more was the fact that it was in a low tax band (£35) as it emissions were below 120g.
I have just been onto Seat's website looking to see if they have any offers on and i noticed that it is now reporting that the CO2 rating is 123g, thus putting it into the £120 tax bracket!
Does anyone own one of these at the moment and if so are you paying £35 a year for tax? (I understand that as car is new you wouldn't have paid for it, but you get my drift!)

Also would anyone have any ideas as to why it has changed?

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a rant, i'm just a bit confused :blink:

Many thanks
Graham

paulov

When I ordered mine at the end of January I paid £35 tax, I have been notified that it should arrive mid May, but did not mention a change in tax? I have tried to look on the carfuel gov website and the 2.0 engine is not shown..... Has anyone had to pay the tax yet?

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
123g/km would be £90 a year tax not £125 i think they changed it starting today with the recent buget
plus now for cars with less than 130g/km first years roadtax is free for new cars (i always thought it was included in the cost of the car anyways but hey)

somthing else thats intresting is check the german seat website
they report the 2.0 cr diesel FR as 119g/km (its also cheaper than the petrol one too!)
maybe they removed the DPF for the UK model... probably not tho lol

odd really, id email em and ask!

Last edited:

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
I had a similar thing to this on my old Leon 1.4 TSI. The CO2 rating on the V5 was higher than the Seat published specifications so it tipped it into the next tax bracket.

FR_Rob

Is In Love with Power!
Mar 13, 2010
Warwickshire
octane's got it right. Starting from april the first yr tax rate has changed so it should be free for the first year then £35 per yr after that :)

Gw19

May 25, 2004
Southampton
Ah yes, i forgot that the goverment was changing the tax rules so it would only be £90 a year.
It just seems odd that Seat release a car, put details out to magazines etc, and then after only a month or so they change the technical specification!
I'm popping down to my local dealer at the weekend, as my wife is test driving a Leon FR TDi, so i'll ask them there if they have any idea of why it has changed.

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
I got told it is £35 a year tax . So has it now definately changed to something higher? If so that is very annoying as this was one reason for buying :(

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
everywhere was advertising the FR TDI as 119g/km which would make it only £30 tax after the new budget. How can it suddenly now be advertised at 123g/km. Surely this is false advertising as they originaly told me about the 119 and that helped persuade me to buy the car but now all of a sudden they are saying "oh by the way it isnt 119 its 123 so your going to have to pay an extra £55 a year in tax"

Gw19

May 25, 2004
Southampton
Looking at seat.com and seat.de it is still showing it as 119g/km whereas seat.co.uk is showing 123g/km. It does seem very bizarre. I did notice however that they have dropped the list price by £35!

I'm guessing that the cars that have already been built and sold will be in the lower tax band and any new ones built will be in the higher tax band?
Seems like bad planning by Seat if this is true.

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
hmm. My car is sceduled to be built this week... (i think they only just started building customer orders) so do you think mine would be build with the new 123g/km or the 119g/km that they where originally advertising?

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
oh, also i have been looking at advertised pictures of the interior of the TDI model for a couple of months now, but when i went to the dealer yesterday to take a look at their demo model, it didnt have the carbon fibre effect on the steering wheel, it had glossy black...

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
oh, also i have been looking at advertised pictures of the interior of the TDI model for a couple of months now, but when i went to the dealer yesterday to take a look at their demo model, it didnt have the carbon fibre effect on the steering wheel, it had glossy black...

Thats only on the boca (carbon fibre) the cupra has gloss black and i take it the fr to :think:

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
mediaDOTseatDOTcom/component/g2bridge/26/?g2_itemId=21328&g2_page=6&g2_language=en_GB

On the pictures in the press release, it had carbon fibre steering wheel :think:

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
i phoned my dealer about it, they said to phone seat customer care. I did that and they said we dont know, you will have to wait till your car arrives to find out... wot a load of help that was

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
I did read somewhere that the Fr TDi had carbon inserts in the same place as the boc because I remeber being a little miffed :)

Gw19

May 25, 2004
Southampton
Have just had a quick search and have found the new seat price list dated April 2010 and it shows that the FR is now in VED band D (thus £0 tax for first year and then £90 per year)
firstforseatcars.com/downloads/brochure/seat-price-list-apr10.pdf

Gw19

May 25, 2004
Southampton
Have just had a quick search and have found the new seat price list dated April 2010 and it shows that the FR is now in VED band D (thus £0 tax for first year and then £90 per year)
firstforseatcars.com/downloads/brochure/seat-price-list-apr10.pdf

Although saying that the same website has the "New Kids on the block" brochure which show the new FR TDi with emissions of 119g/km!!!! :blink:
firstforseatcars.com/downloads/brochure/seat-ibiza-new-kids-on-the-block-mar10.pdf

Gw19

May 25, 2004
Southampton
I have just phoned Seat UK Customer Care and they did not know which figure is correct and advised me to speak to my local dealer!!! Surely the dealers get their information from these people!!!
So confused!! :blink:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.