have i broke my turbo too ?

ceedubya

crazy legs
Mar 18, 2004
newcastle upon tyne
after frying my clutch a few weeks ago my car is now burning oil on prolonged tickover (lots of blue/oil smoke)

the turbo is only around 2k old since having a new shaft fitted along with seals running full boost ( td05/18g)

plugs are a nice biscuit colour, no oil in the turbo intake side, small deposit of oil in the boost pipes ?

the car is still running and boosting fine on full boost with no smoke except tickover

the 2k miles was fun but now its a pain in the hoop with things going tits up[:@]

ceedubya

crazy legs
Mar 18, 2004
newcastle upon tyne
:lol: just gonna have to smoke for a while then:lol:

was out "testing" today and no smoke using full boost thru the gears and only the odd puff coming down thru gears ?

i will take it to bits to fix both problems when its no fun or shamefully smoking :redface:

ceedubya

crazy legs
Mar 18, 2004
newcastle upon tyne
i am starting to think that my turbo could be leaking oil direct into exhaust system and not thru engine ???

everything i have checked on engine side looks normal and isnt showing any signs of burning oil

any other ideas anyone :confused:

Backdraft

Is there a leaky gasket on the mani to turbo or the turbo to dp?

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
So it's using oil only under high vacuum. Your turbo should have a restrictor already built into the CHRA.

You could pull off the downpipe and see if the turbine has signs of oil on it, though I'm not sure you would spot it. Also if oil is only running through the engine periodically I don't think it would oil the plugs either.

Have you thought about checking the breather system one way valves. You could be sucking straight from the crankcase into the inlet.

ceedubya

crazy legs
Mar 18, 2004
newcastle upon tyne
So it's using oil only under high vacuum. Your turbo should have a restrictor already built into the CHRA.

You could pull off the downpipe and see if the turbine has signs of oil on it, though I'm not sure you would spot it. Also if oil is only running through the engine periodically I don't think it would oil the plugs either.

Have you thought about checking the breather system one way valves. You could be sucking straight from the crankcase into the inlet.

cheers for ya help;)

its at its worse on prolonged tickover and i dont see any smoke while driving but people following say it ocasionally puffs a bit out when i am coming down thru the gears.

the breather system is factory at the mo, i have a breather tank ready to fit asap

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
With the correct workshop equipment they can be done without removing the head. But most dont have this equipment, so cylinder head removal will probably be required.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise