Headlight advice and other things.

Robin84

Hi Guys,

Am still loving the FR even after the mishaps and things.

Have had a headlight go out on me this morning and wondered whether I could get some advice on which bulbs to fit, and whether it's easy or not.

I was at work a few weeks ago, when I came back to the car at Lunch, there was an 1100 litre wheelie bin in the side of it. Caused damage to the rear quarter panel and drivers door, with dents and a couple of swift creases. Gutted does not even begin to cover how I was feeling.

However, work have said they will pay for it, but have got a quote and they say £2500.

Nuts!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Hi Guys,

Am still loving the FR even after the mishaps and things.

Have had a headlight go out on me this morning and wondered whether I could get some advice on which bulbs to fit, and whether it's easy or not.

I was at work a few weeks ago, when I came back to the car at Lunch, there was an 1100 litre wheelie bin in the side of it. Caused damage to the rear quarter panel and drivers door, with dents and a couple of swift creases. Gutted does not even begin to cover how I was feeling.

However, work have said they will pay for it, but have got a quote and they say £2500.

Nuts!

Hi there,

Get youeslf a set of 6000k H7 HIDs instead of bulbs as they are much better! (about £35 from ebay)

your lucky your work are paying for it! we had a tree squash some staff cars here and they all had to claim on there own insurance!

Robin84

Are they pretty easy to fit then? Am a complete noob and a klutz when it comes to things. Am wanting to learn a wee bit more though.

Yep I am pretty lucky, just got to get another quote to see if I can get a reasonable 'back up' quote so I can get it done whilst I am away in Abu Dhabi.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Are they pretty easy to fit then? Am a complete noob and a klutz when it comes to things. Am wanting to learn a wee bit more though.

Yep I am pretty lucky, just got to get another quote to see if I can get a reasonable 'back up' quote so I can get it done whilst I am away in Abu Dhabi.

yep not much different then changing a bulb. you have to fit a ballest pack but they are all plug and play. look in my Ibiza thread to see how i did mine.

seat_rich

Five atoms
Jul 29, 2009
yep not much different then changing a bulb. you have to fit a ballest pack but they are all plug and play. look in my Ibiza thread to see how i did mine.

Don't you have to have auto-levelling and cleaning fitted with HIDs or is that just with xenons?

Davidsr

PD 172
Mar 13, 2009
Blackpool
Don't you have to have auto-levelling and cleaning fitted with HIDs or is that just with xenons?

I think thats if they are supplied on the car from manufacture. TBH the issue needs clearing up.

Some people have suggested that as long as the beam pattern is good it will pass MOT. Think it's a bit of a lottery really.

I've got my first MOT on Friday and I'm hoping they don't fail me for my HIDs as really can't be doing with putting normal H7s back in for a retest.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead

I think thats if they are supplied on the car from manufacture. TBH the issue needs clearing up.

Some people have suggested that as long as the beam pattern is good it will pass MOT. Think it's a bit of a lottery really.

I've got my first MOT on Friday and I'm hoping they don't fail me for my HIDs as really can't be doing with putting normal H7s back in for a retest.

Legally you are ment to have self leveling and headlamp wash.

As said providing the pattern is correct then most MOT places will pass it and as for police i have never been stoped for mine. i have had the odd flash but i just flash back and all seems to be fine!

Robin84

So is it properly straight forward to do it?

What I don't want to is spend a whole lot of time (of which I don't have much) and money and then have the local rozzerette tell me to take them out.

Ideally I would like some strong headlights that don't break the bank or the law.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
So is it properly straight forward to do it?

What I don't want to is spend a whole lot of time (of which I don't have much) and money and then have the local rozzerette tell me to take them out.

Ideally I would like some strong headlights that don't break the bank or the law.

yes it is! mont the ballest where every you want (within reson for length of the wires), pu the bulb in as per normal, plug the spade connectors into the plug which normally goes on to the back of the bulb, then connect the 3 plugs up (they only go one way), cut hole in the back of the head light cover for the wires to run through. job done. it can be done in 20mins for the basic installation. for the way i did mine it took about an hour

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I've had HID's for 3 years on both my cars, passed MOT's no problem.

Dept of Transport do state you need self levelling and headlamp wash, but it is ambiguous whether this applies after the manufacturer has made the car.

Never been stopped by the police, no one has even said anything. The average bobby couldn't give a toss about headlamps, and traffic cops are too busy doing other things to worry about them. :cop:

My new insurance company are aware of the HID's but aren't bothered. :D

In my opinion, the HID's are the best mod pound for pound you can get. I did do a 'how to' on another forum but the process is the same. If you want it, send me a pm and I'll get you the link. ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.