Headlight Switch on 0 but low beam is on?

Chelesty

May 16, 2020
Hellohello,

I just got my first car, and im pretty excited about it. I was able to get it for a really good price, so it's not without its faults. One of them being, the headlight issue.

On 0, the low beams are on. Turning the switch to side lights, turns the low beams off and turns on the interior lights. Switching to low beam, the low beams come back on, this time with the interior lights still on. It would seem the side light and low beam modes work just fine, but the 0 switch position is bust. I'm thinking a faulty switch, but would like your input. The car does not have automatic lights.

Yours truly
DSC_0058.jpg

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
There is a setting in vcds to enable this function. You can either choose sidelights or low beam (and maybe fog lights) as DRLs.

Chelesty

May 16, 2020
There is a setting in vcds to enable this function. You can either choose sidelights or low beam (and maybe fog lights) as DRLs.
It seems as though both the side lights and low beam are programmed as DRLs, is this possible? I think the rear lights also light up on 0 btw. But as the interior lights do go off, can I exclude the possibility of a faulty switch? The light warning sound when turning the ignition off also cuts out when turning it back to 0. It's a very confusing situation all around, makes sense this is a software thing as I don't see an electromechanical logic lol.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
Most likely it was coded by the previous owner. The rears should also light up as you said. Do you have any scan tool ? Using carly or carista (you can find “free” versions online :cheeky:) you can check these settings

Reactions: Chelesty

Chelesty

May 16, 2020
I don't have a scan tool (yet). I've been looking at the Ross-Tech packages but those are pretty costly, especially given the relatively minor change I want to make haha. I see VCDS is only compatible with the Ross-Tech adapters. Would any OBD2 adapter work you think? The tools you mention are for mobile I see, so I'd have to get a Bluetooth adapter.

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
Vcds is very expensive but you can get a chinese clone for less than £30.
Obdeleven is a very nice app which requires its own adapter. Definitely worth it.
Or get a generic elm327 adapter for like £5 which will work with torque, carista, carly and a few other apps. Carly has the settings which you are looking for. I just tried it on my pre-facelift 6j

Reactions: Chelesty

Chelesty

May 16, 2020
Vcds is very expensive but you can get a chinese clone for less than £30.
Obdeleven is a very nice app which requires its own adapter. Definitely worth it.
Or get a generic elm327 adapter for like £5 which will work with torque, carista, carly and a few other apps. Carly has the settings which you are looking for. I just tried it on my pre-facelift 6j
Aliexpress to the rescue once again haha. Thank you so much for the info. I'll keep the lights as they are for now, and gather myself the tools I need for diagnostics. This, and the slightly leaky sump plug im getting fixed tomorrow are the only 2 things I really wanna get fixed. For the rest the thing checks out, but might aswell check for fault codes when I can.

Reactions: vtxracer
Oct 31, 2023
Hi everybody,

I need some help here ...

My position lights are a bit confused ...

The left side is with low beam on and the right side is as usual. As it should be.

Can anyone help me????

The picture with the low beam is the right side and the other one is the left side as it should be on. Please help me...

How do i remove the beam so it is original parking lights on with obdeleven?

Attachments

• IMG_20231031_164409.jpg
    IMG_20231031_164409.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20231031_164430.jpg
    IMG_20231031_164430.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 31