Headlight upgrade

Marktdi180

Mon the diesel
Mar 8, 2010
Livingston
Hi everyone

I'm looking to upgrade my headlights but have searched for hours looking at different bulbs and i'm wondering whats the best bulbs to go for.

I want maximum light output but dont want the hassle of installing HIDs .

Any help appreciated

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
I would highly recommend HID, for the cost and (30 mins) of your time you cant get better

But if you really don't want them they Philips do good bulbs (but you looking at similar price to HID)

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
I also thought this, ended up doing same as my last two cars and getting the extreme brilliance from halfrauds on BOGOF which seems to be a permenant offer. not too expensive, and slightly brighter than standard!

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
been there done that

learn from my mistake, go for hids!, its very simple! and about £10 more than good blubs (£40) got mine from hids4u on ebay

took about 10 secs to drill the plastic cover, and the rest is dead simple (i.e. plug and play)

I wish now i didn't go for the 6000k, as at most angles they look blue, however, some angles they look white. it think i'll try the 4300k ones when these go, but had them ages and have been fine

also, its safer to drive as you can see so much more!

Marktdi180

Mon the diesel
Mar 8, 2010
Livingston
Ye i've got the extreme bulbs from halfords just now.

Well from what you're all saying its easy peasy!

Although i did hear that the headlight height adjust in the car becomes defunct?

Can you set the height yourself or do you need to take it to the garage?

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
I wish now i didn't go for the 6000k, as at most angles they look blue, however, some angles they look white. it think i'll try the 4300k ones when these go, but had them ages and have been fine

also, its safer to drive as you can see so much more!

Don't buy 4300k, they are as yellow as standard halogen bulbs! I replaced my 6k for the same reason as you but then the 4300k were rubbish so I put the 6k back in

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
I too thought HIDs would be a pain in the ars to fit. But to be honest it was just as easy as swaping a normal bulb!

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
i think im gonna get myself a set of HIDs soon. heard Hids4u is the best place so will probably give them a try.

think i'll go for the 5000k as i'm not overly keen on the blue look. will also get the xenon look side bulbs as well to match. from looking at the headlights it doesn look much harder to fit them than it does to change the bulbs any way.

is it a bit of a pain to fit the ballast then?? Do you need to water proof it in some way as well?

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
i think im gonna get myself a set of HIDs soon. heard Hids4u is the best place so will probably give them a try.

think i'll go for the 5000k as i'm not overly keen on the blue look. will also get the xenon look side bulbs as well to match. from looking at the headlights it doesn look much harder to fit them than it does to change the bulbs any way.

is it a bit of a pain to fit the ballast then?? Do you need to water proof it in some way as well?

I've got 6000k and mine aren't blue. I think it also depends on quality of bulbs you get with the kit more than anything!

Personally I just cable tied mine securely, making sure non of it touches metal (as apparently this can short circuit it or something). Also any exposed wiring I just wrapped in leccy tape ;)

p.s. where abouts in Chester you from mate?

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
I've got 6000k and mine aren't blue. I think it also depends on quality of bulbs you get with the kit more than anything!

Personally I just cable tied mine securely, making sure non of it touches metal (as apparently this can short circuit it or something). Also any exposed wiring I just wrapped in leccy tape ;)

p.s. where abouts in Chester you from mate?

sounds dead easy then in that case.

I live in Hoole and work in the city centre. How about u?

My ex-girlfriend used to go to Bangor Uni. More years ago now than i care to remember though! :headhurt:

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
sounds dead easy then in that case.

I live in Hoole and work in the city centre. How about u?

My ex-girlfriend used to go to Bangor Uni. More years ago now than i care to remember though! :headhurt:

Yeah it really is easy as it sounds! I was expecting it to take me over an hour like the instructions said & what others have said. But I was done in 15mins :p

Ah cool, I'm not in Chester itself just outside in small village called Huxley if you know it? (close to Tattenhall & Tarporley). What you driving? I don't see many Leons round Chester!

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Yeah it really is easy as it sounds! I was expecting it to take me over an hour like the instructions said & what others have said. But I was done in 15mins :p

Ah cool, I'm not in Chester itself just outside in small village called Huxley if you know it? (close to Tattenhall & Tarporley). What you driving? I don't see many Leons round Chester!

not heard of Huxley but know Tattenhall & Tarporley.

bought a black 03 LCR last weekend so should now start seeing it around. Needs a good clean mind!!

that was one of the things that appealed me to the cupras, never really see that many around. was either gonna get that or a CTR but see loads of them around.

Gordz

May 31, 2007
North East
not heard of Huxley but know Tattenhall & Tarporley.

bought a black 03 LCR last weekend so should now start seeing it around. Needs a good clean mind!!

that was one of the things that appealed me to the cupras, never really see that many around. was either gonna get that or a CTR but see loads of them around.

:lol: not many people have heard of Huxley, tiny little place out in the country!

I'll be keeping an eye out for you then when I'm back in Chester. I've a platinum grey leon tdi. With a few SCN stickers and a sticker saying 'Gordz' on the back, so I'm fairly easy to spot ;)