headlight upgrade

Feb 24, 2021
Hi,

I have a 2015 Leon 5f with the LED headlights. one of them has gone and I was wondering if a 2019 headlight would fit as I could get a pair cheeper than a single one.

Thanks guys!
Toby

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
This has been asked many times before - in summary the answer is the newer style has a different shaped front bumper and the control modules and coding is also different due to the way that the indicators etc function.

The units are made by Valeo - you can buy these from EuroCar Parts (ECP) cheaper than via dealer; they also frequently have 40-60% off using discount codes.

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
Whilst you can get a pair cheaper, after getting it to work on your car it definitely won't be cheaper.
I'd advise you just get another pre-facelift headlight.

Feb 24, 2021
Alright, thanks for the help guys! anyone know where to get a headlight that won't break the bank? Eurocar parts don't have any instock :/ don't mind second hand

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Alright, thanks for the help guys! anyone know where to get a headlight that won't break the bank? Eurocar parts don't have any instock :/ don't mind second hand
They don’t have the ‘after market’ version in stock, but have the Valeo ones if you select. 45% off code on the top bar.

As a word of caution, some of the second hand units have ‘crazing’ in the plastic lens - both of mine were starting to go this way on my pre-FL version. However, Seat also sell a headlight repair kit if you buy one with a broken mount. 5F0998225 or 5F0998226 are the part numbers for the repair kit.

Feb 24, 2021
They don’t have the ‘after market’ version in stock, but have the Valeo ones if you select. 45% off code on the top bar.

As a word of caution, some of the second hand units have ‘crazing’ in the plastic lens - both of mine were starting to go this way on my pre-FL version. However, Seat also sell a headlight repair kit if you buy one with a broken mount.

These are the ones I need that they don't have in stock.
I'll make are there is no crazing, thanks man!

ZK_FR150

Apr 16, 2016
£900+ for Eurocar parts, they taking the mick, no wonder they have a 45% code.
They were selling them for around £400 odd when I replaced mine a few years ago.

Prices are stupid for the headlights lately especially as there are facelift versions now so in theory the older models should be cheaper.

Cheapest place I got mine from were off Autodoc at the time they were about £300 odd.
Currently £385 for the right hand side one and £487 for the left hand side version, not sure what's going on with those prices.
They may also take a couple weeks to get delivered as they are based in Germany.

You might be able to get second hand off eBay or scrappers for about £2/300

Reactions: jshumphries

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As an afterthought to the OP, have you tried going back to the dealer?

The lights are supposed to exceed the life of the vehicle (as described in the owner’s manual). Unless water or crash damaged, you would have a good case.

Reactions: Cuprabenwytm

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I think they meant the LED chips, which usually have a rated life of 25 years odd, rather than their drivers or enclosure and in comparison to halogen which only last a year or two. In any case getting a dealer to resolve any warranty issue, even inside the original three years, is nearly impossible - I can only imagine their reaction to a 'lifetime' description from the owners manual.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I think they meant the LED chips, which usually have a rated life of 25 years odd, rather than their drivers or enclosure and in comparison to halogen which only last a year or two. In any case getting a dealer to resolve any warranty issue, even inside the original three years, is nearly impossible - I can only imagine their reaction to a 'lifetime' description from the owners manual.
It depends on how confident you are with the use of the 2015 consumer rights act, and the wording in the owners manual. It doesn’t specify LED chip, and I’m sure you’d have no problem winning in a small claims court. Only issue is vehicle is 6+ years old.