Help & Advice Needed - K04 Turbo Removal

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Okay so a bit hypocritical given previous posts but am going to try and replace the turbo myself - I am fairly competent not confident.

So I think I need to do the following ?

A. Jack up car and put on axle stands

1. remove hard boost pipe
2. remove t.i.p and associated plumbing
3. remove oil feed line - do I need drain the oil first ?
4. remove water cooler line - do I need drain the coolant down first ?
5. from under car remove oil drain line
6. from under car remove coolant line
7. undo downpipe from turbo
8. undo turbo to exhaust manifold
9. undo and remove exhaust manifold
10. remove turbo

I have all oem gaskets, new exhaust manifold studs/nuts, new exhaust manifold to turbo studs/nuts.

What am I missing ?

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I don’t think you have to remove the exhaust manifold there is the 3 bolts from the top you undo to remove the turbo
I’m also sure you have to remove drivers side drive shaft and remove the front subframe also to get the turbo out and the front pipe off the exhaust
Also I would put new oil and a oil filter as well so the new turbo has good clean oil going into it also drop some new oil into the new turbo before fitting the oil feed pipe and when it’s all back together either pull the fuse for the fuel pump or pull the plug off the crack sensor and let the engine turn over for a minute or two to build oil pressure so the turbo has oil going to it before start up and check for leaks on the first start up and give the exhaust manifold a good clean up with a wire brush before fitting the new turbo nothing no worse than finishing a big job like that and the exhaust manifold gasket to turbo is leaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Oh also don’t forget to get the tracking checked once you have got the car all rebuilt and running again as with removing the subframe unless you get all the fixings back in the exact same place you will nock the tracking out
Any front suspension work tracking should be checked after the work has been done

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
Would it not come out from above with the exhaust manifold? I’m trying to remember from when I had all the top parts out for a turbo to manifold gasket change.

You could check the manifold for cracks and do the manifold to head gaskets at the same time.

Not sure, just wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
Does anybody know what size the bolts are that holds the turbo to the exhaust manifold ? - They look like a reversed torx type

SteveWM

Jul 12, 2016
West Midalnds
I bought a KS Tools 515.1055 Impact socket ETX, deep, 1/2” E16 from Amazon. Still listed on there. Used it with my battery impact wrench after soaking for 2 days with penetrating fluid. I had read that they can shear and leave you with a right pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Easiest way to do it is to have an engine hoist that goes onto the sides of the bay, maybe you can rent one. Then you undo the engine mounts, hoist up the engine and shove it as forward as possible in the bay. It’ll open up a TON of space in the back where it’s much easier to work on. And you can remove the turbo directly out.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.