help! (again)

mattmk2

Feb 2, 2010
yesterday my thermostat went so i removed it, my car is still heating up to the halfway marker after a few miles but im not gettting any hot air through my fans in the car? any idea on that please

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
sounds like an air lock... take the expansion tank cap off and leave the car ticking over for 15mins or so... :) hope this helps

mattmk2

Feb 2, 2010
will do in a sec ill report back then. btw both hoses off the radiator are warm when its run not no if that helps

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
i dont have a thermostat in mine because everytime i put a new one in it seams to just disintergrate... so it takes a while for it to warm up and then when it does i put the heaters on and it cools down again... it doesnt bother me anymore... except on freezing mornings :(

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Get a proper vag thermostat and shove it in, the engine runs best at it's optimum temp which is why there's a thermo in there in the first place, you're just asking for problems leaving it out and make sure you use the proper g12 coolant.:)

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
ive had like 4 thermostats from the motorfactors and theyre all plastic crap and pin at the top of them always ends up snapping...

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Fill the cooling system and leave the cap off, make sure the heater is on full, start the engine and let the coolant circulate first then top off as needed, put the cap back on and hopefully that should do the trick but I would look at getting a thermo in the near future.:)

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Sorry bud I was a way out doing stuff but anyway I would let it run for 1 minute or so and give the throttle a gentle press to bring the revs up to about 2000 briefly just to make sure it's all circulating nicely, you might see the system do a little burp then the level will drop, just top up and put the cap back on.:)

mattmk2

Feb 2, 2010
thats okay, i didnt go out and try again i will after work tomorrow and report back :) thanks everyone again :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.