Help! Coolant leak - with pics

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
So I have a coolant leak between what I believe is the gasket between the engine and the turbo charger (no.5 on the workshop manual).
I can obviously get a new gasket but is this something I can do myself? Would be from the top of the car only as my drive is on a slope. Does anything need re-skimming (like replacing cylinder head gasket)?
Does anyone know a rough cost to get this fixed by a garage?
Could it be something worse than just the gasket?
I had green flag out, they pressure tested the system and it was fine. That said, the idiot left lambda sensors unplugged, bent my heat shield and lost one of the nuts holding it on and said the coolant loss may have been due to the car having a funny 5 mins. Then told me to see how it was today.... Have put in complaint.
It only leaks after warming up (running for 5 mins) and coolant drops onto something hot causing steam/smoke. Can be driven for 30mins before the coolant tank drops from full to minimum.
Will be getting recovery from Bristol to Southampton tomorrow (instead of constantly stopping) as it stinks and probably isn't healthy for car occupants.
Sorry for all the questions, any Christmas help appreciated

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
Pics attached
098d00a9e5f459454b618032036d37e4.jpg
97d96cbc0001456dd833309f6ebd9b3c.jpg
83ee05bd1fd1e4f9dd4c86c1de857770.jpg
99df3f6f72e43f1889f9f5c05c25d034.jpg

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
Car is a Leon 1.8 TSI ST FR. 64 plate, 33k, no warranty

MATT RILEY

Oil burner
May 9, 2004
That gasket no5 doesn't hold any coolant so it's not that, the thin black coolant pipe that goes to the head at the bottom of your last picture is leaking from the plastic that goes into the head (cracked) or the oring on it.
Should be a 15 min job at most.

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
That is intially what I thought which is why I took off the heat shield to confirm (pain in the arse when engine is hot). However, coolant comes from the join/crack, exactly where the arrow points..... It leaks and then spits from the join
Didn't know whether there was coolant in that area (I thought not) or whether it's getting in there somehow and getting pushed out.
I was hoping it was the hose that was cracked for a quick fix.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
That is intially what I thought which is why I took off the heat shield to confirm (pain in the arse when engine is hot). However, coolant comes from the join/crack, exactly where the arrow points..... It leaks and then spits from the join
Didn't know whether there was coolant in that area (I thought not) or whether it's getting in there somehow and getting pushed out.
I was hoping it was the hose that was cracked for a quick fix.

That joint is the cylinder head exhaust port manifold to turbo. If coolant is being pushed out of the joint then it is really not good news (HG or turbo core leak). Is the exhaust steamy and smells sweet? Look for coolant that is somehow tracking/dripping on to that joint spot before getting too concerned.

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
That joint is the cylinder head exhaust port manifold to turbo. If coolant is being pushed out of the joint then it is really not good news (HG or turbo core leak). Is the exhaust steamy and smells sweet? Look for coolant that is somehow tracking/dripping on to that joint spot before getting too concerned.
There is nothing obvious from exhaust both in idle and when driving. I'll give it a little sniff tomorrow
I'll double check all crevices and leaking pathways tomorrow, hopefully I've missed something...

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
@MATT RILEY @Butty
You were right!
So I parked up in a different spot and I have given the area a good clean.... You can clearly see it is coming from the plastic housing and dripping down (didn't look like this yesterday) which in theory is good news, an easy job
I can't seem to find the part number if anyone can help?
Thank you for all the advice so far.
As a bonus also found the missing nut on the top near the wipers

stevenboot

Sep 27, 2016
So got the new part from VW and a new hose (just to make sure) and it appears to have fixed the issue. £11.50 all in.
Will take it for a drive as soon as it's cooled down and I can fit the heat shield back.
Part numbers in pics incase anyone else with the same problem needs them so they can get to a garage without removing parts (I had to cut the hose off).

c68440d4d87dd087c4d82c358fb60f7d.jpg
2c55f2ba06f9d5ea8edcb0d76c61c288.jpg
710ca91ffd1a8a9f777f83cac7404376.jpg

Reactions: adam davies
Jun 27, 2021
So got the new part from VW and a new hose (just to make sure) and it appears to have fixed the issue. £11.50 all in.
Will take it for a drive as soon as it's cooled down and I can fit the heat shield back.
Part numbers in pics incase anyone else with the same problem needs them so they can get to a garage without removing parts (I had to cut the hose off).

c68440d4d87dd087c4d82c358fb60f7d.jpg
2c55f2ba06f9d5ea8edcb0d76c61c288.jpg
710ca91ffd1a8a9f777f83cac7404376.jpg

Hi,I have a cupra 280, 2014 plate which seems to have exactly the same fault, mine looses about a pint every 4 days when standing, it seems to be ok and I cannot see any leakage when engines on, only when I first start up it steams and stinks of what I can only describe as a spice smell ! How easy is it to remove the heat protector to view? And is replacing the valve looking part easy ? Thanks so glad I have seen this on here as I was seriously thinking my head gasket had blown !

bobajob69

Sep 20, 2015
Southampton, UK
One of the nuts to remove the heat shield is a royal pain in the arse, especially as you don't want to drop it, only attempt when engine cold if possible as you'll burn your hands.
Starting the engine up I could see the smoke coming from this area as the engine started warming, might be worth checking this first....

Jun 27, 2021
One of the nuts to remove the heat shield is a royal pain in the arse, especially as you don't want to drop it, only attempt when engine cold if possible as you'll burn your hands.
Starting the engine up I could see the smoke coming from this area as the engine started warming, might be worth checking this first....
Yes I can see the steam/smoke straight away on start up it dies down after about 5 minutes

Jun 27, 2021
Hi
Thanks again for this great post !
I replaced the valve, hose, and clips this afternoon, on inspection the damaged valve looked exactly like yours, rubber washer stretched and torn and plastic sealing ring bend over on the valve, the mechanic at seat when I purchased the new bits said the fault was caused as the valve hole was not bored out correctly, it only had a hole on the hose side the size of a pin hole and with the pressure build up it forced the valve washer to push out causing the leak, however on inspection of the newly purchased valve it also was not bored out correctly, only slightly larger, so the mechanic drilled it out so the coolant would flow properly or it would happen again, the parts department also didn’t charge me for the parts which should have cost £17 !

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise