HELP: Driveshaft? Loud knocking MK2s - do we have to love them??

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Hi, having uttered the immortal words to a friend last night 'since i stripped my car everything is working just great' without touching wood, to day my car is broken :cry:

When i lift off the gas pedal a loud knocing, bonking, jarring can be heard coming from between my feet. At first i thought it may have been a wheel bolt, but no, a bearing but the wheel is steady - so i am assuming its a driveshaft???

Suddenly it has come on and got gradually worse as if it is building up to a catastrophic failure!

Is their a driveshaft bushing/bearing that probably needs replacing, or the whole thing?
what should i look for / test?
What parts may i need?
Anyone ever done a similiar job, ££?
Anyone ever fitted the VR6 driveshafts?

My car is dropped 60mm at the front..D'Oh!

Any help would be appreciated. My trip to inters is in jeapordy!! GREG

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Also have a look and see if the brake discs r warped. Do you get a bad vibration when you hit the brake??

My dads civic was doing a similar thing and the discs were warped. But it doesnt seem like its that but check anyway.

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
how? what am i looking for?

check the passenger side engine mount.

if the gear stick is moving about a bit more than usual it is deffinatly a mount problem.

check this thread i made a little while ago Click HERE

there are 3 mount's from what im aware, one in the front of the car right in the middle, the next one is down by the drivers feet (so just behind the engine right at the bottom)

and the 3rd is the one i was having the problems with which is right next to the gear box.

also check your drive shafts, just the car up and use axel stands please! get under the car and it pretty obvious what your looking for, any damage in or on the DS, also check the all the bolts etc are done up..

maybe check the CV's while your at it, how much are you lowered? and how long has it been lowered. if your car is sitting lower than factory the CV joints will wear out quicker

sionowz

Jan 28, 2007
cardiff
have you got a custom or aftermarket exhaust system? I had a cat-back fitted and i get a knocking when i start to move forward or slow down from a slow speed and its the centrebox hitting one of the metal guards

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
i have this problem however it also occurs when i apply the accelerator

basically i think its either the inner Cvs or an engine mount..but i havent had a chance to look properly at the mounts and not much can be done with the cvs other than removing them and checking them over visually

Mckellar

do you have spacers

my spacers are 4x100>5x130 and require allen key bolts to bolt onto the hub and tonight the spacer bolts have come loose and ive had to abandon my car at a friends house incase the hub collapsed.

just an idea, i dont know if normal 4x100 spacers require extra bolts or just longer bolts

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members