Help. Drop Link Spline Rounded

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Need help guys.

Installing new ST shocks and springs all around. Got the backs done no problem. Moved onto front left to find the spline head on the drop link has been rounded by previous owner/garages!

I'm guessing this is why none of the running gear was ever replaced. Had 3x shocks go at roughly the same time.

Any ideas to get this off? It has a bolt on it which just spins unfortunately as the drop link is a ball joint inside I'm sure?

Am I best off buying new ones and cutting the old one off and installing new ones? Or is there another way to get it off?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Doesn't sound like you have much choice but to cut the old ones off and install new.

Even if you manage to get the current ones off - it would be a PITA to install them again.

Reactions: chroniclesofcf

chroniclesofcf

Mar 3, 2022
Paisley, Renfrewshire.
Doesn't sound like you have much choice but to cut the old ones off and install new.

Even if you manage to get the current ones off - it would be a PITA to install them again.
Sorry Deano, just reading it back to myself, I've realised it sounds like I'm looking for another way. I was looking for confirmation that cutting was the best and pretty much only way to do it.

Thanks for the reply! New TRW drop links ordered 🤦🏻‍♂️

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Sorry Deano, just reading it back to myself, I've realised it sounds like I'm looking for another way. I was looking for confirmation that cutting was the best and pretty much only way to do it.

Thanks for the reply! New TRW drop links ordered 🤦🏻‍♂️
As an alternative to cutting - you could try a nut splitter on the current drop link nuts.
Less chance of causing damage to the ARB or strut with a saw or grinder

Reactions: chroniclesofcf

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Need help guys.

Installing new ST shocks and springs all around. Got the backs done no problem. Moved onto front left to find the spline head on the drop link has been rounded by previous owner/garages!

I'm guessing this is why none of the running gear was ever replaced. Had 3x shocks go at roughly the same time.

Any ideas to get this off? It has a bolt on it which just spins unfortunately as the drop link is a ball joint inside I'm sure?

Am I best off buying new ones and cutting the old one off and installing new ones? Or is there another way to get it off?
It's a dumb design - having to rely to hold on that tiny spline while you undo the large nut over the corrosion of the protruding thread.
My small spline bit sheared off while trying to undo mine! Luckily managed to tighten it back up again - drop links were actually fine - just doing my front wheel bearing.
If I need to do my drop links in the future I would just cut them off - either drill them out, or I believe you can prise off the back so you can hold the ball joint with some vice grips.

Reactions: Butty

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My first and only experience, so far, with this "feature" was on my wife's previous 2002 VW Polo 1.4 when it broke a front spring at Christmas/New Year 2005/6 or 2006/7!
I found that the spine bit just expanded the end metal on the end of the droplinks.
My top tip with any VW Group suspension jobs is, first make sure that you have a good set of taps and dies that cover both fine and coarse metric threads, then clean all exposed threaded sections, first with a wire brush then with the correct size of die BEFORE trying to remove any nuts, since I worked that out, taking VW Group cars apart has become a lot easier!

Reactions: SuperV8
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.