HELP! Engine Management Light - What can this mean?

Lisa Davison

Hello to my fellow SEAT owners!

Help Please!!!!

A couple of months ago I purchased a 2001 model SEAT Leon Cupra 1.8T 20V. Yesterday, the 'Engine Management Light' came on and I don't know what the problem is? The car feels and seems fine to me, but I would like to know if anyone has experienced a similar thing after owning a Leon for this long? I am assuming this is a typical problem that would be expected at this age of vehicle.

I have booked the car in for a diagnostic next Monday (21st Jan). In the mean time, I would like to know what the problem could be.

Any ideas?

Thanks ALL!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
could be anything.the light is a general fault light . the diagnostic should find whats up.

in the main forum theres a section on vagcom help requests. get friendly with a local that has it. its the same as the diagnostic so if youve future problems it may save you money rather than the paying the dealer each time.;)

welcome to the site btw:)

good choice in car btw

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
Best thing to do is find a local VAG-COM user to where you live.

Make him/her a nice cup of tea and I'm sure they would come and read the fault codes for you.

Without any fault codes you could be guessing all day long - The VAG-COM is just the same as what the garage will do on the 21st, but knowing the code before hand means ur less likely to get stung.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
lol... we often get repeating questions and answers. always best to search the forum. chances are its already answered... somewhere.

once youve got your fault you can search on here and find lots of ways to sort it. ;)

Jonesy

Leftie and Proud
Sep 27, 2004
Pig Hill
we often get repeating questions and answers

yes we do

its "geek" for being shouted at, for not searching

It means being abused by members because you didn't read the rules of using the forum! :D

Edit: Weejase beat me to it ! lol

lol... we often get repeating questions and answers. always best to search the forum. chances are its already answered... somewhere.

once youve got your fault you can search on here and find lots of ways to sort it. ;)

One after the other, classic :lol:

Last edited:

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
We ought to start running a book when we get these questions

5/1 MAF
7/1 oxygen sensor

Etc, etc. Lol

welcome to the site though Lisa :D

Ninja

Cupra now gone :(
Oct 1, 2005
Reading
www.peugeot-gti.net
im glad you didnt just search.. we wouldnt have been able to say hello then :)

Hope its nothing mayor which seems likely as its driving fine.. Might well be MAF or lambda or something.. As above though see if you can find a member near you with a laptop and vagcom and get them to have a look.. then you can just buy the part and replace it rather than having to pay the garage to do everything :)

Lisa Davison

Hiya! It have been a while, but I have just worked out what the light meant LOL. My earth had been corroded and throwing incorrect signals to the ECU, displaying all sorts of problems. I got it sorted, changed a few sensors and cars a gooden. Thanks All. x

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.