HELP! Induction kit causing management problems/ Overfuel!

Chris1

Could do with some urgent help

Fitted a Ramair induction kit to my LC (more just a filter, the cold air ducting was sh!t), my car was okay for 3/4 days then all of a sudden, bam, engine management light comes on. Plugged in my mactools computer, sayin p0172, fuel mixture high or bad (i forget which) in bank 1, so basically it's over fueling yeah?

So anyway, i clear the fault, cars fine, then 2 days later, same code again. Only other modification i have is a forge split-r.

Is this fault related to the induction kit?
Why is it doing it?
How can i stop it ?

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
my money is on a boost leak.give it some time and a boost leak fault will come up. my first guess is the split r dumpvalve. i had 1 and i got the same faults as you. forge 007 is the way to go.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
i would log your mass air flow now.. in case you damaged the maf sensor during fitment or vibration has killed it.. (common on ramair installs)

remapped LC should get 170-180g/s typically

Chris1

Well, i was told that the car can't cope with the extra air intake without a remap?
I was running for weeks with just the split-r with no probs what so ever, only since i fitted the kit.
I put the stock airbox back in last night, seems to be okay atm, but who knows.

Why do people slag split r's so much anyway? Surely if you put the full re-circulating blank in, it's the same as a 007?

Chris1

Overfueling

Simple q

Fitted forge split-r - everything fine for 2 weeks
Fitted ramair air filter - 3 days, code P0172 (overfueling)

Clear it, came back 2 days later

DV caused it or the air filter?

Air filter slips directly over MAF, no other piping

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
At a guess Id say the dump valve would be causing it - as has been said many times on here about atmoshperic DVs, they 'fool' the ECU into thinking there is a boost leak - say 100 grams of air passes the MAF, then you change gear and the DV dumps 30 grams of air, these 30grams would normally be dumped back into the TIP AFTER the MAF.... with an atmospheric DV, these 30 grams are dumped into the air, and have to be replaced with another 30 grams from the filter - which then pass the MAF, making the engine think that a lot more air is being drawn in than in reality... I would have thought this would make the ECU compensate by adding more fuel to keep the same air/fuel ratio, giving you an overfuelling problem....

No proof of this, it's just thats what went through my head when I was looking at a new DV and made me choose the forge 007p instead of a semi/full atmospheric option!

Ben

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
At a guess Id say the dump valve would be causing it - as has been said many times on here about atmoshperic DVs, they 'fool' the ECU into thinking there is a boost leak - say 100 grams of air passes the MAF, then you change gear and the DV dumps 30 grams of air, these 30grams would normally be dumped back into the TIP AFTER the MAF.... with an atmospheric DV, these 30 grams are dumped into the air, and have to be replaced with another 30 grams from the filter - which then pass the MAF, making the engine think that a lot more air is being drawn in than in reality... I would have thought this would make the ECU compensate by adding more fuel to keep the same air/fuel ratio, giving you an overfuelling problem....

No proof of this, it's just thats what went through my head when I was looking at a new DV and made me choose the forge 007p instead of a semi/full atmospheric option!

Ben

That is about the best explanation of the recirc/bov argument i've heard in a while! I'd try tightening the split'r a couple of clicks so it dumps less air; or try it in full recirc mode for a few days.

Chris1

That does sound like a probable analysis. I rang Forge up earlier today as it happens, they say they have no documented case of any of there DV's causing a overfueling problem?

But work this one out. The DV works fine when i run the standard airbox, no management. Etc

What if i were to run the split-r in fully re-circ mode, i.e blanking the one port?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
That does sound like a probable analysis. I rang Forge up earlier today as it happens, they say they have no documented case of any of there DV's causing a overfueling problem?

But work this one out. The DV works fine when i run the standard airbox, no management. Etc

What if i were to run the split-r in fully re-circ mode, i.e blanking the one port?

that is what I would try first to eliminate the potential of the DV being at fault

Chris1

Alright sound, il re-fit the filter, then blank the dv off.

And of course, il let you all know how it goes :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris1

Probly a really silly problem/ question

Right.

I fitted an air-filter on my LC
Cars fine for a day or two, then it overfuels, code (p0172)

Are air filters common to do this?

Chris1

Starting to give up already

Can't even fit an air fliter to my LC without faults comming on..

Got it booked at forge for a remap, prob gonna end up canceling

Do these cars just hate modifications or sumet..

Chris1

well, for example

fitted a ramair filter, direct fitment onto the maf, runs fine for about 2 days, then overfueling codes (p0172)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Chris1, please will you post anything connected with this problem in this thread rather than repeatedly trying to start new ones. It makes it very difficult for people to help you if they can't get the full picture because the info is all over the place. :)

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
when you fitted the kit did you disturb the maf, ramair have caused problems before, if fitted direct to maf housing then this may cause stress on a known weak point.

try jetex filter, use an extension to take weight off maf and connect properly.

Chris1

Chris1, please will you post anything connected with this problem in this thread rather than repeatedly trying to start new ones. It makes it very difficult for people to help you if they can't get the full picture because the info is all over the place. :)

I know but no one ever seems to answer overwise :(

well, i unplugged the MAF, doubt that disturbed it tho, and ive just recieved some piping & silicone tube through the post. the maf was supported with a bracket anyway (supplied).

Could it just be the type of filter, i.e would a k&n, green cotten, hks.etc work better?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise