help needed asap!

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
i have a mk3 ibiza (drums on the rear), i needed to change the pads and give it a good clean out as they where sticking and not feeling very good.

well i needed to get the air out the system as my break felt a little spongy. i loosened off the bolt to bleed the air out of the drivers side drum and when i was tightening it up, the nipple sheared off (it was heavily corroded)

well basically my question is, what do i need to get ? do i need to get a whole new drum or does the nipple attach to the inner piston assembly ???

any help with this would be great as i NEED my car on the road for saturday morning :help::headhurt:

thanks

Adam

mk1golf_jack

Golf nut
Mar 13, 2007
Herts
most cars using rear drums have whats called a brake cylinder, this is usually a little rectangular block with the brake nipple in the middle. It usually has two bolts that secure it to the drum. It will aso have th brake line going into it. To undo that you will need a brake pipe spanner or you could round it off, and thatr means new brake pipes!

Ask Gsf for a rear brake cyliner!

Good luck!

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
thanks mate. the rear brake cylinder in the drum is a tube with a piston each end so basically what you described. the brake pipe spanner, what size is that do you know or is it work just getting a specific tool from GSF to use.

thanks again for your help :)

mk1golf_jack

Golf nut
Mar 13, 2007
Herts
they come in different sizes but ive found its mainly 11mm spanner, you could use a normal spanner to check it for size but i would only ever use a brake pipe spanner to undo it. Gsf might do them but a local motor factor will defo have one.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Or I've got a rear beam complete with rear discs and callipers fit that instead :p

To answer the main question you're going to have to get the remains of the nipple extracted then fit a new one.

Adam R

Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
does that nipple not come as one part on the drum brake cylinder ? then the nipple feeds through a hole in the back plate of the drum ? or does it actually screw in to the rear of the drum too ?

thats a very nice offer craig, but i dont know how on earth i would travel to you and back without a car, and i think postage would be a bit of a killer too.

i would love a rear disk conversion though. could you please send me more infor about it on PM, as i may just get this fixed then do the rear disk conversion....

also is there a lot of work in going from disk to drum regaring the brake bias etc ?

mk1golf_jack

Golf nut
Mar 13, 2007
Herts
you can get just a new nipple if you can get the remains of it out of the brake cylinder. The nipple only screws into the cylinder. if it was my car i would just get a new cylinder for the sake of £6 or so. Or even better a rear disc conversion as craig said :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise