Help please, black smoke after remap

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Hi just had a remap and found that on acceleration when at around 2k i get a below of black smoke.Its only when i press the gas at around that rev range.If i go through the gears hard it doesnt do it,but if i lift off let the revs drop then go on the gass again i get a burst of black smoke.
The car goes like hell and im happy as,but just wounderd if i can help reduce this.
I heard that if i turn down the EGR valve it will help a little .Just wounderd if theres anything else.I dont mind it but is a bit grubby on the boot when opening.
Its a tdi 130 fr with 20k on it,i have read loads of threads first but cant realy find the answer.Just wounderd if this is normal for remaps.
Was told it could be my airflow meter??

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Who remapped it ? It would seem to have generic code on it which means that it could be over fuelling and therefore chucking a lot of soot out back. Thing is with generic code is that it could have been written to accomodate pipes and filters that you might not have fitted, and all engines are different in their efficiencies etc. Mine used to do it to some degree (not thick black clouds but visible in the mirror) but since fitting the filter and the exhaust it seems to have subsided a lot.

I doubt its the MAF though. Best thing is to speak with the tuner. They might be able to back it off a little on the fuel map to clean things up with little impact to the performance.

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Yeh cool mate,i did call him and he's coming over to take the car out and test it for me. Its not thick black ,but enough to see in the mirror.I will ask him if he can turn down the egr valve to min setting .But as for the power i dont want to loose the feeling it gives at the mo ,as it goes so well .I thought of getting some injector cleaner and fuel adative by Millers tomorow .Also didnt know if my egr might be clogged up ? But im not that convident in stripping it.

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Thats a bit harsh,i'll wait till tomorrow and see what they come up with but i dont think its a **** map, Especialy reading alot of the comments and experiances others have had with so called well known remappers!.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Thats a bit harsh,i'll wait till tomorrow and see what they come up with but i dont think its a **** map, Especialy reading alot of the comments and experiances others have had with so called well known remappers!.

I hate to say it unless its actually a fault with the car, Which for your sake I hope its not! Its probably just the map overfuelling the car which is something he should correct there an then for you.

If he doesn't I'd be most displeased it also doesn't say much for economy if its doing things like that you don't know what else its doing!

fozworth

Mar 6, 2009
Had the guy who mapped it come over today and sort it.Turned out that my injector timing was a fraction out so it was fueling slightly early.As pd engines all vary slightly it just needed a tweek.Now i have no smoke and no loss of power.Just need to up the handling as it goes like stink!!!

thekiddy

Hi All

I've got this same problem, I bought a car over a month ago now and I noticed it last week that when I accelerate I get a second of black smoke then nothing. When I start the car up it seems fine as well. I've had a custom code remap to about £200 BHP and I also have a stainless steel exhaust with a K&N filter. I bought the car with all this already on there. The reason why I was suspect of something was because there appeared to be alot of black soot on my bumper so I started looking for problems.
Most of the comments suggest that it may be a problem with my remap that was done before I got the car, problem is I had to pick the car up from down south which is 200 miles from me so it would be a bit of a night mare taking it back to get them to check it out. I've looked on the net and there is a tuning place round the corner from me. Hopefully im going to get them to look at it but not sure if they will bale to do anything with it not been any of there work. If its not the remap does anyone have any idea of what it could be?

Thanks

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
Most likely the map being a generic "one size fits all" map, but could be dirty air filter and maybe the MAF but the MAF tends to really play up and cause bad running and other issues rather than a bit of extra smoke so I don't think I'd go spending money there just yet.

Unless there are thick clouds of it, I wouldn't worry about it. Mine does it from time to time - depending on how long the Mrs has been using it and not booting it enough :)

To really get to the bottom of it, have it on the rollers at a decent mapping company if it bothers you that much though.

My take on it...... just enjoy your new car.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.