Help please Emissions light = £508 throttle flap assembly (3 mths out of warranty!)

chaggie

Hi there,

Newbie poster here (but have looked at the advice on the forum in the past and found it really useful).

I took my 54 plate Altea to the dealer today as the yellow emissions light was staying on. When I went to pick it up I was told that the diagnostic check found that the throttle flap was faulty, and needed to be replaced. The part itself they said is £508 (without labour etc).

I'm no mechanic so wanted to see if anybody had a view on this?

Also the car is just 3 months our of warranty, so has anyone got experience of dealing with Seat to see if they will still cover this type of issue - any help appreciated! I also got charged £85 just for them to do the diagnostic to tell me I need to spend more cash!

Thanks in advance.
:confused:

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
What engine is this on. As if its a common unit may be best to buy independently and fit yoursefl.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
isnt there one or sort of either side of the egr valve ?

personally i'd remove it and clean it thoroughly and inspect it and check it's connections

lot of money to blow just cos a laptop says so ;)

Mike5

I had the same part go wrong on my 2.0 TDI back in August only 4 days before the warranty ran out. Mine shorted out and was wired to the same fuse as the cooling fans. Yes it is some form of motorised flap valve to do with polution control. I had the exhuast valve go 4 weeks before. I am certainly glad I was still under warranty. It looked a big lump but never thought it was that much.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I'd argue the point on warrenty. Just because you get 3 years doesn't mean Saet limitations end there.
If its a part that goes reg then its poor design.
I dont think it could be classed as a servicable part therefore should last longer than 3 years (milage?)
Just start bleating about consumer goods law, Sale of Goods act, Trading Standards etc and ring Seat HO for comment.

Or just give a damn good clean.

chaggie

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm going to push hard on the warranty angle. The car has a full SEAT service history and has only done 32k, so it's not as if it's been flogged to death.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
hi guys,

I'm exceedingly astonished about prices over at yours ... :confused:

The problem of the 2.0 TDI throttle flap is a well known one over in germany ("Drosselklappe aka Saugrohrklappe aka Regelklappe"), while customers are usually charged with ~ 310 Euros for both: part(s) + labour.

There is a longer thread in our forum dealing with partnos and error-codes ... but sorry, won't be able to translate all of that here ...

=> Drosselklappe defekt beim 2.0 TDI

Same with the costs of just doing a diagnose ... this is ~ 25 Euros at most of our dealers ... often including a little OBD-programming like Auto-Lock, Leaving Home etc.

Wonder, if these £85 are an avarage pricing in the UK or really a rip-off ...

greets ... Klaus

monkeytennis

I've joined this forum to comment on the exact same issue. 2.0 TDi Altea (54 reg and 45k miles) and emission control light has been on for about 4k miles now. No change in performance so I'm waiting to the service to see how my dealer overcharges me for fixing. Other forums mention faulty sensors however mine has a 'rattle' when turning the engine off so I presume it's mechanical. Seat couldn't care less when my Leon's aircon pump went just 2 months out of warranty (£1k dealer fix or £650 independant) so I'm sure they won't help on this either as it's 6 months out.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.