Help urgently required!!

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
Right. Jyst replaced the battery in my Toledo. Started the engine and it is idling fine. Tried to take it for a spin, got halfway down my drive and then couldnt get any revs whatsoever out of the car. Now when stationary the car only revs to about 3500rpm with your foot flat on the floor and it will only go like 15mph in any gear. Help please!!
Cheers guys

andycupra

status subject to change
did you press the throttle when starting the car?

id say dissconnect the battery, then leave for few mins.
reconnect it.
then turn ignition on but dont start the car, leave like this for few mins (or untill buzzing noise stops under bonnet) then try the car again.

could be throttle body allignment issues as i cant think what else would cause this due to battry change

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
Thanks for your help andy. i started the car as normal with no throttle. I spoke to my Seat garage and they said to leave the battery disconnected from the car for about 30 mins so have done that and no joy. Then phoned again and they could not diagnose over the phone. There are no warning lights on and no special procedure for a battery change. has anyone else encountered similar problems? thanks again
thesonny

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Is the battery earth connection OK, at the chassis end as well as the battery? Just a thought, as it will have been disturbed when you changed the battery.

Otherwise, my guess is that this is a severe "limp home" mode. One of the more critical engine sensors has become disconnected or has failed. Look for obvious loose connections anywhere, particularly anything that might have been disturbed when you changed the battery. Otherwise, VAG-com will give you a clue where to look.

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
Was stumped byt this so took it to the Seat garage. They have had the car in their garage for four hours and don't even know what wrong yet. Something horribly expensive i feel. [:@]
thanks for your help anyways guys

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
the garage said it was the lamba sensor and that prevented the car from relearning it's stuff as it was sending it incorrect information. the annoying thing is that just two weeks ago i had a different seat garage test it to replace it as a recommendation from the previous owner due to a slight problem. The garage said that there were no fault codes shown regarding the lamba sensor, and so did not replace it. That garage has been so unhelpful that i am now going to advise people not to take their beloved seat anywhere near it. Plus they apparently have a policy stating that you can only get a courtesy car from them if you actually purchased your car from their garage ridiculous. Thumbs up to Newbury Seat. Thumbs down to Emmer Green Seat

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
haha. not yet. your see when the cat was replaced a few weeks back the good people at central tyres in Reading (can't knock em for customer service) tightened the lamba probe in so tightly that the seat garage wont remove it because they are afraid of damaging the thread on the exhaust pipe. so now i have to tow the ******* from newbury to reading, then back to newbury. the things we do for love eh?

StuC

F1 Smart?
Jan 14, 2006
Rugby
This might make you feel better...
A couple of weeks after buying my motor I had to take it back to the garage. Not a problem, well it is when the dealer is in Woking and I live in Rugby :(

Still that's what you get, when you trawl the country for a V5 :D

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
Well here we are a week on and still no change. Car runs slightly better, but went to the garage today and they cannot find an electrical fault with it so has to go back again on thursday to be fixed fingers crossed. ****ing cars!

thesonny

UNV This
Nov 20, 2006
Well it was the lamba sensor and then the Air Mass Meter (causing the poor running due to incorrect fuel mix. Just got back from the garage where I had it replaced, only cost £90 :D and car runs perfectly now