Help with a few problems please - Leon 2015 1.6

Chrisgil

Dec 23, 2018
Ok, long story short, Ive bought a 2015, 1.6 Seat Leon, Not an FR, but has the FR seats etc...
Later found out the car was a total write off by insurance in the summer of 2017.
seller uses fake name etc.. so Ive done the rounds and there absolutely nothing I can do.

SO.....

If anyone can help with these problems, I would be very appreciative.

Sat nav, sim missing. Im told by a local Seat dealer they have to install that and put a code in to enable it.
Is this true, I cant just buy one from ebay??

Carpet is damp, and a little mouldy behind drivers seat. There was rattling under the carpet, and Ive ended up puling out over 30 metal cannisters of nitrous oxide, still some rattling about, so as well as there being a bit of a gap already, Ive had to cut it open to pull some out.
What is the best underlay to get for insulation, and which is the best carpet to get. Websites that sell them dont give very good info, and dont respond to emails

Possibly insulation problems causing damp? what should I look for??
There is whistling sound on the passenger front door after 50mph, like the window insulation has a gap.

Heating works better on the passenger side than the driver side. on full heat it is only slightly warm, with a little cold coming through, whereas on the left it feels how it should, fully hot.

Click on the clutch, ive noticed occasionally there is a clicking sound on the clutch when you start the car. goes when you press the clutch a few times. Not done it for a week or so but Im guessing it will at some point

Banging/knocking coming from left wheel on hard right, so when turning on hard right, ie coming out of drive there is a knocking sound/feel from the left front wheel

Engine is overly loud, from the back right it sounds. so drivers side at the back, especially when going around 60/70

Lack of power, there seems to be almost no acceleration after 50.
At 70 Id say acceleration is almost non exsistent.

Windscreen washer not working. Im hoping that is an easy fix.
Well hope it all is obviously.

Front bumper, one of the corners is coming out slightly, as if something it connects to has snapped, any easy fixes i.e. cable tie from the inside? Look like to get to that part you need to go under the wheel arch??

Please explain anything I need to do, in a non car techy way. I dont know hardly anything about cars, and never fixed anything, but anything I can do myself I will. Simply cant afford to pay someone to do everything at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
When you say the car was a total loss, what category was it recorded as?

Should the car still even be on the road?

Do you know where the crash damage was on the vehicle? As this could be the cause of a lot of the issues listed.

I accept its a crap situation for you as some moron seems to have sold you a lemon, but if i were you i would get the car inspected to ensure any repairs were done to a decent standard. I know this will cost money you don't have but judging by the actions of the previous owner i would worry its been fixed on the cheap and could be lethal in another crash.

Reactions: kazand

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Ok, long story short, Ive bought a 2015, 1.6 Seat Leon, Not an FR, but has the FR seats etc...
Later found out the car was a total write off by insurance in the summer of 2017.
seller uses fake name etc.. so Ive done the rounds and there absolutely nothing I can do.

SO.....

If anyone can help with these problems, I would be very appreciative.

Sat nav, sim missing. Im told by a local Seat dealer they have to install that and put a code in to enable it.
Is this true, I cant just buy one from ebay??

Carpet is damp, and a little mouldy behind drivers seat. There was rattling under the carpet, and Ive ended up puling out over 30 metal cannisters of nitrous oxide, still some rattling about, so as well as there being a bit of a gap already, Ive had to cut it open to pull some out.
What is the best underlay to get for insulation, and which is the best carpet to get. Websites that sell them dont give very good info, and dont respond to emails

Possibly insulation problems causing damp? what should I look for??
There is whistling sound on the passenger front door after 50mph, like the window insulation has a gap.

Heating works better on the passenger side than the driver side. on full heat it is only slightly warm, with a little cold coming through, whereas on the left it feels how it should, fully hot.

Click on the clutch, ive noticed occasionally there is a clicking sound on the clutch when you start the car. goes when you press the clutch a few times. Not done it for a week or so but Im guessing it will at some point

Banging/knocking coming from left wheel on hard right, so when turning on hard right, ie coming out of drive there is a knocking sound/feel from the left front wheel

Engine is overly loud, from the back right it sounds. so drivers side at the back, especially when going around 60/70

Lack of power, there seems to be almost no acceleration after 50.
At 70 Id say acceleration is almost non exsistent.

Windscreen washer not working. Im hoping that is an easy fix.
Well hope it all is obviously.

Front bumper, one of the corners is coming out slightly, as if something it connects to has snapped, any easy fixes i.e. cable tie from the inside? Look like to get to that part you need to go under the wheel arch??

Please explain anything I need to do, in a non car techy way. I dont know hardly anything about cars, and never fixed anything, but anything I can do myself I will. Simply cant afford to pay someone to do everything at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any help

**** me. Did you bother to do a hpi check?

Reactions: Brimfull and xyz

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Wow, I'm not even sure where to start with that. Trouble is, if it's had a collision and some of the panels / seals no longer meet. It'll let air, noise and water in. Not like you can just take a copper hammer to it and beat it back into shape. But also sounds like the engine and exhaust have suffered damage. Along with either a wheel, the steering rack.

You'd have to be fairly confident in what you were doing to repair that. I guess probably the first thing to do is jack up the front end of the car. Check both front wheels for play 9-3 6-12. Check for damage to the tie rods, control arms, cv joints, steering rack. Maybe the wheels are buckled?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I feel for you mate but I'd cut your losses and get rid of that car. It's never going to be right. Yes, you're going to loose money on it but if you start spending on it you could end up loosing a lot more. And still have a pile of crap!

Trade it in or punt it through the market.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
I feel for you mate but I'd cut your losses and get rid of that car. It's never going to be right. Yes, you're going to loose money on it but if you start spending on it you could end up loosing a lot more. And still have a pile of crap!

Trade it in or punt it through the market.
If Carlsberg did advice

Reactions: kazand

Chrisgil

Dec 23, 2018
I don't know the catagory write off,
The guys is a total fraud and wouldn't tell me anything.

Chrisgil

Dec 23, 2018
If I sell it I would probably get half the price I just can't lose that amount of money

Deleted member 103408

Very sorry you have been ripped off.

First thing I would suggest is you talk to your citizen advise although from a brief read it does seem like its very difficult to win unless they are a trade seller.

So hopefully we can give some information that may help a little.

Front Bumper - check out https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/leon-mk3-5f-front-bumper-removal-guide.430190/ this will show you in nice pictures how to remove the front bumper (and how it therefor fits to the car and you can see what you can do to adjust it.

With regards to sat nav SD Cards you can buy them on Ebay but I have had mixed views if they work or not but most say they do not check out https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/sat-nav-sd-card.445609/#post-4787617, does the car have Full Link (eg you can use your mobile phone to provide the maps on the car screen).

re whistling sound on the passenger front does it sound like its coming from the window or around the door frame if around the door I would check to make sure you have rubber all the way round the door and that it looks in good condition but if its the body is out of line then not sure there is much you can do

re heating, I would suggest you check all the output holes to make sure there are no blockages stopping the air flowing to drivers side other than that the best I can do is point you to the service manuals here https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/leon-mk3-official-seat-workshop-manuals-link.442353/ where you will be able to find the docs that show how it all connects together

One other thought, I presume the car has an MOT, If so do you know if that was done before or after the car was written off. If before I would take the car in for an MOT and they will be able to tell you very quickly doing the stock checks if there is anything that makes the car unroadworthy that you will need to look at as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 12, 2018
Last edited:

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
If I sell it I would probably get half the price I just can't lose that amount of money

How much are we talking about here? If it's a cat-D that's some good news at least as the car should be structurally sound.

Chrisgil

Dec 23, 2018
Theres no issues mechanically, just had it fully serviced and MOTd, just to be sure. just needed brake pads and pollen filter fitting.

Power
They said there was no issue with acceleration or power, I disagree.
If im doing 50, and then go to overtake on the motorway in 5th, there is no power. Feels like I need to go down to 4th.

Door seal
The passenger door, the seal isnt going flush to the car at the top, so causing wind noise.
How do I rectify that. do I need to take it off, and replace put it at a slightly different angle, if thats possible??

Damp
drivers side, under the car next to the wheel, theres a piece of plastic missing, so the underlay is exposed. Maybe causing damp issues?
Is there a cheaper fix than buying that piece. Found it for £49 expensive for a crappy piece of plastic.

Noise
What and where do I buy something to put under the carpet to ad more sound insulation, ideally that acts as a heat insulation too.
Maybe something between the underlay, and new carpet, which Im gonna have to get.

Aircon / Heater
The garage didnt deal with aircon,
So the issue is the drivers side isnt getting the heat, but the passengers side is getting full heat. that includes the window. drivers side on the window isnt working properly.
What do I look for??

Chrisgil

Dec 23, 2018
ps. no I dont have full link. it would cost either around £130 to just get updated sd.
Or £199 to be upgraded to the full link to link my phone.

Both pretty expensive but I do use the sat nav so really want it working

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
There is only one heater unit feeding both sides of the car. The only way it could only be getting to one side is if the pipes to that side are blocked or not connected. It has to be something that simple.

Tell us more about the pit of plastic that is missing from behind the wheel? Pictures would be good.

If the passenger door frame is bent or the door not aligned that could cause the seal to not fit properly.

I assume it's a 1.6 TDi ? If so the lower models are torquey enough low down but there isn't much power at higher revs. Is this the first diesel you've had?

The noise from the engine could be many things. A bad engine mount would be my guess. Things get moved/hit in a crash and it sounds like your car's nose got hit.

Sat-nav, no way around it. Bite the bullet and buy one.

Sounds like a real pig in a poke! Treat it as a learning experience. The next time you buy a car you'll know to do your homework. Looks like you didn't check anything at all on this car.

Chrisgil

Dec 23, 2018
No My last car was a 1.6 tdi peugeot 307. 2007.
There was absolutely no issue with acceleration or power.

Having hardly any power at all at 50 is not right.
But noone seems to know of amything it could be.

I will take some pics:
So if you look under the car, drivers side, right next to the wheel.
Theres a big piece of plastic missing. Im hoping that is the damp issue.

If theres anything I can check for aircon. I dont even know where the pipes are etc...
Am I able to check this all out myself??

Door frame, its not massive, its a whistling so worst case scenario maybe slightly extra sealing.
It does look like the door needs bending slightly so it seals.
I cant be sure but it does seem to be the issue

Sat nav, so is it worth the upgrade to the new system?

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Is there a reasonably priced rolling road near you? If so, it might be worth asking them to perform a simple run to produce power and torque curves. I think that's the only way to know for sure although I would expect the Leon performance to be similar to that of the 307. Would you say that the two cars are similarly geared?

Chrisgil

Dec 23, 2018
Not sure, the 307 generally had more power all round, not just at the faster speeds.
When I still had both, I drove the 307 and noticed the increased power/acceleration straight away.
I can live with slightly less, but like I say it just doesnt feel right.

Id not heard that phrase before. Just looked it up.
Can call the closest ones and ask for prices.

http://www.art-motorengineers.co.uk/
https://www.rstuning.co.uk/

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You can't assume that two completely different cars will have the similar performance because their engines have the same capacity. There are way too many other variables. Even in the Leon there are two different power outputs available on the 1.6 TDi, 89 and 103bhp. Actually three as the ecomotive has slightly more again. So if you've got the 89 bhp engine, it ain't going to be very quick.

It sounds like a bit of your arch liner is missing? If so, that shouldn't result in water getting into the cabin. You should be able to get a used replacement from a breaker. Water could be getting in anywhere but if the door seal is not tight I'd start looking right there. Sit in the car while a friend plays a hose over the outside of the car.

If you can get a better infotainment system for slightly more than a basic nav card then yeah, I'd do it. If nothing else it'll be a selling point when you sell the car. Connectivity is a big deal to younger buyers.

Most of the heater pipes are in the dash obviously. I don't know how accessible they are myself so can't help you. Usually some dismantling required to get at them though, sometimes a lot. I'd start by looking under the dash with a torch to see if you can spot anything obvious.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.