Help with keys!

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
My wife misplaced the key we use everyday :( and so the spare key came out for the very first time since we have owned the car. However, all is not well.

We have two keys with remote control, the one we consider as the spare having a plastic tag and a code, and that is it. The manual suggests that I should have one remote key, one manual key and the tag.

The problem is that what I thought was my spare will not unlock my car and on closer inspection has a slightly different key profile (though this did not stop my wife from opening the drivers door with it and setting the alarm off).

:help:
What keys should I have?

If my spare is not for may car (which I suspect is the case), can I synchronise it using my other key (now found by my wife) or is this only possible with the manual key that I do not have?

Can I get a new key bit cut using my old key as a template?

I presume the tag and code on my spare key is not relevant to my car. Do I need "my" code for any of the above?

Should I (we all) be concerned that a key not intended for my car was able to easily open the drivers door?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Should I (we all) be concerned that a key not intended for my car was able to easily open the drivers door?

I would be :blink:

Have you tried starting the car with it ?

If it fit's the ignition, give it a turn and see if the immobiliser recognises the 'spare' (other) key

If not, try *carefully* removing the blade from your day-to-day key, sticking this in the ignition and holding the 'spare' key close to the ignition barrel while trying to start the car

Depending on the type of keys, this may not be conclusive, but you're aiming to see if the 'spare' key has been coded to your immbiliser.
If it starts ok, you can just get a keyblade off eBay and get Timpsons (or similar) to cut it to the profile of your day-to-day key

The remote central locking fob can be coded yourself once the above is all working correctly.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
My two pennies worth on this subject is inially the Altea was supplied with two remote fods and the manual or least mine does cover how to programme the other key. Sometimes the programme can get corrupted so the manual says or I recall so the other fod is worth taking on holiday etc. I do that if I'm taking the car abroad just in case a loose a set, need to re-programme it etc.

Then more recently through cost savings, Seat supply just one remote fod and one cut key. Apparently you have to buy the other remote fod if you want more than one. Got all this infor from here !.

Reading above I think you may have two remote keys and one standard cut key ?. It seems that the spare remote hasn't been programmed if I read the text correctly. The "manual" key will be no use in that. Yes re-reading may be the dealer said at time of purchase do you want a spare remote, you said yes, but it was never programmed ?.

Last edited:

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Have you tried starting the car with it ?

Yes, whilst it unlocks the door with a little more effort than normal, its a no-go in the ignition.

Reading above I think you may have two remote keys and one standard cut key ?. It seems that the spare remote hasn't been programmed if I read the text correctly. The "manual" key will be no use in that.

No I don't have a standard cut key, just two remote fobs.

Mine's an early 2004 model (bought 2nd hand from an independent garage) and so probably left the factory with two remote fobs before cost cutting was rife at SEAT. I wasn't suprised by having two fods because the V5 that I had before had two fobs as well.

Anyway with the advice from both of you :cheers: I have dragged my wife out into the cold (to sit in the car in case it all went pear shaped and my good keys became locked in the car) and managed to synchronise both key fobs.

A good start and now I'll have to buy a bit/blade then a trip to Timpson's. Looking at both keys again the profiles are definately different. I'm still concerned that my spare (or someone else's!) opened the door.

Tell

Staff member
I think that's good news.... seems like the blade key you shouldn't really have and is the odd one out for a 2004 car. Bit like the key that gets left in your kitchen draw when you move in and you wonder whether it's the key for feeding the neighbours cat....

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
All good stuff. Just check the immobiliser transponder (chip in the keyfob) is coded to the car too before getting a new key ... cos you might need to get the dealership to give you a new key afterall if it's not*

Is the 'spare' a flip-key type ? Cos I bought a couple of blades off eBay and only needed the one - you could have the other

*unless you know someone with a VagCom setup and buy the special code off SEAT to programme the chips yourself

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
if the key is effectively unused it may be correct but just roughedged and not worn in

how close is the profile ?

always found with new cut keys we had to burnish them on a wire wheels to take the 'edge' off

a worthwile tip is to always use the 'spare' key at least once a month - that way you know it works and isnt flat or 'out of sync' and you always know where it is should you actually need it :)

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
Been away for the week over christmas so just catching up

Is the 'spare' a flip-key type ? Cos I bought a couple of blades off eBay and only needed the one - you could have the other

Your offer is much appreciatd TllEWL, but I have now followed your earlier suggestion to remove the blade... check the immobiliser transponder... and the result is that I would also need a new immobiliser transponder :cry:

Not all bad news though. I went to my supplying (independent) dealer who I bought the car from nearly 18-months ago and they have offered, with no hassle, to sort out a replacement key without cost to myself. :)

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Could this spare that doesn't start the car be a valet key? Does it also open the boot?

Also, is it not under warranty? If you bought it new from a dealer I'd take it back to them as they supplied you that key.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.