HID problems

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi there,

just wondering if anyone else has had these issues or similar.

I have fitted 6000k HIDS on my dipped and main beams H1 and H7R bulb kits and i have gone through 4 ballasts under warranty in 2 months, they are all random, by that i mean it isn't the dipped ones all the time and visa versa.

Has anyone else had this problem and found it to be anything else other than faulty ballasts, could having both kits be an issue also would voltage spikes cause it to blow the ballasts.

any help would be greatly appreciated, also if you bored read post #59 on this link.......

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=171324&page=3

Cheers

Andy

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
No not blind :)

just thought i might aswell do the both as i live out in the sticks, and i have to say when they work the light output in addition to the dip light is excellent. They weren't the really cheap ebay ones either both sets cost me £150 (ish) from "car mod shop".

I was thinking it could just be the ballasts are rubbish but after 3 (4th one getting fitted tomorrow) i would have tough i would have come across a decent one.

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
Sounds a little odd.

I cant really offer any advice, but like i said, mine are fine, and they ARE the cheap ones off ebay.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Cheers anyway, just goes to show, doesn't matter how much you pay!

Did you every get any interference with your radio? My HIDS Have been a bit of a pain in the hoop!

b1nuzz

Oct 27, 2008
Bristol
i get a little bit as they charge up when they turn on. but once that has passed (last about 3 seconds) they are fine.

and it doesnt stop the radio, just sounds a little rough.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Do you mean water getting into the ballast itself? I have them mounted on top of the offside light, and on the nearside, on top of the battery cover and on the side of it.

My radio works most of the time, just when the signal starts to get weak its as if the HIDS amplify the interference.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Not really, i tried moving them but your restricted by the cables so it doesn't make any difference.

I spoke to the guy who supplied them and he had another customer with the problem on Kia and has tried wrapping them in tin foil and extra earths but made no difference.

I'm thinking of buying good quality ballasts from somewhere else if this carried on...

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
is it a big ballast or slimline didgital?

Try making a new earth point away from the specific earth points, also dont intall the balast on metal surfaces.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Until you have had hids in the high beam to you really don't know just how much vision you get at night, it's like being on your own rally stage ;)

Had the same slim ballasts for over a year with no problems.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
alot of it is down to placement and earthing , the factory standard xennon units are all built into the headlight - hence no interfearance. But trying to build them into the standard lights may turn out pricey if you break them. Just make a seperate earth and insulate the ballast.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.