HID Relay fitting guide (Image links dead)

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
As some of the MK2 owners know, fitting HID's can cause all sorts of issues to the resetting of clocks and lights flashing etc...

Heres how to wire the HID's so that they run off a relay mounted in the engine bay.
You will need to do this to both sides of the circuit
eg: left and right headlight

2vsrnsl.jpg

And for those that dont know, the live from the back of the headlight, is the lighting feed from the fuse box to the back of the headlight. This can be tested for with a multimeter, and should read 12V when the headlights are switched on and 0V when they are off.

If anyone can see any issues with the guide please let me know so i can change it

EDIT: Just altered the fuse rating from the battery it should be the same either side of the relay :)

Last edited:

duncagr

i just got my hid kit today so will be fitting soon, any particular relay required here??

duncagr

ta mate, ill raid halfrauds and get one tomorrow, any tips as to where to have the relay/control boz etc?!

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
really?
This is effectively taking the feed for the HIDs directly from the battery as opposed to using existing power from the headlights, the wiring to the headlighjt is used effectively as a switch in this

Did you take power to the relay directly from the battery, and earth the relay directly to the chassis?

Last edited:

ibiza_95

1.8T MK2 Conversion
tbh i didnt know they had a resistor... o_O
I cannot see why this wouldnt work though. If you try the other relay and it doesnt work... the only thing i could think that might fix it would be to put another resistor before the relay on the headlight live thats the same rating as the standard bulb, but you shouldnt need to do this