hid right?

kamalahmed1

Hi
Today I had installed a HID kit to my mk4 ibiza.I got it from my friend who had crashed his car and had the kit.
My question is:
I have installed the bulb in its place and connected it to the ballast,however,there are too wires that come out from the ballast(black and blue-with connectors)I had plugged it into the original headlamp connector which would connect onto the normal bulb.The HID works when I turn the lights on,but im not sure if I needed to connect it to the battery?
The way I see it is,the factory connector which plugs into the factory bulb is already being powered, and I am just powering the ballast now which emits the light through the new bulb at a brighter light.Am I wrong in thinking so?Do I need to change any fuses?Or do I need to connect the black and blue connects to the battery?I dont want to have a problem when I am using the lights at night,as I have just tested them for a few minutes so wouldnt know if it would blow or cause any other damage further on.

Thank you

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
The way I see it is,the factory connector which plugs into the factory bulb is already being powered, and I am just powering the ballast now which emits the light through the new bulb at a brighter light.

Bang on mate... do not connect it to the battery, it gets all the power it needs from the original plug and just steps up the voltage in the ballast.

kamalahmed1

cheers
my other prob is that the connectors that fit into the factory connector are both the same size and does not say which one is pos of neg.What makes it even more confusing is that the original bulb has the exact same pin sizes,so i dnt know which one pos or neg,would they both be pos?and the neg be connected from a seperated wire somwere?tHE LIGHTS WORK and im assuming that if i plugged it in wrongl,it wouldnt power up or short circuit.ANY IDEAs?Because Ive seen it on hid sites that the pos and neg shoulnt be mixed up!but how is anyone meant to know whats what,theres a black wire and a blue one,both with same size connectors

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
The only way to be sure would be to get a multimeter out and see which side is delivering 12v.
Fitted hid`s to a mate`s golf recently, and the wires were brown and black - so we both thought brown would be live... WRONG! When we fired it up both lights did`nt work! so we swapped them round.

The ballasts should have reverse current protection so you should`nt blow anything... we did`nt!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
just get a test lamp (couple of quid from halfords) and clip on end to an earth and touch the terminals on the plug and the test lamp will light up on the positive