HIDs - What kind? Tips and Pics inside.

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Just fitted mine there. The H4-3 kit must be wired differently to the H7.

On mine there was 2 black circle connector wires (one for each bulb) which have to be connected to ground (bare metal on the chassis) and a red one which is connected to the +ve terminal of the battery.

Couldn't get mine to work at first, but I realised I hadn't connected the two ground wires correctly to the chassis. Might need to get self tappers to get them screwed on.

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Yea, it could be something to do with the solenoid that moves the bulb from low to high beam, but I'm not sure. I'm happy enough anyway, they both work and look good imo! :D
Now my LED sidelights look a bit blue compared to the pure white 5000k HID's, but I've been told its hard to get sidelights that are pure white so they'll have to do lol.

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Anyone with the H4 single reflector headlights had a problem with the beam pattern?
Mine seem to have a bit of stray light above the rest of the beam, which is probably blinding other drivers.
Think I'm going to have to attempt aligning them but I don't think that will solve the problem.

Apr 14, 2011
i got led sidelights and want a hid colour to match, there ment to be white but they look pretty blue, would 8k be best to match ? cheers tom also what kind of bulbs are the fog lights

cheers :)

CAFFN

Does anyone have pics of the installation of the HID-kit? I tend to buy a kit myself, but am not sure if it's easy to fit (I'm kinda car-n00b :p)

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
Cheap HID kits need to be connected to the battery etc and are harder to fit. The HIDs4u kit I have is very easy to fit. 10minutes max, however if you have a larger kit (as opposed to slim ballasts) you'll need to drill the headlight rear covers which takes the longest time in the whole installation.

CAFFN

Did you just change the dipped beam, or also the main beam and fog lights? Because.. the kit on HIDs4U are £91.95 for (I think) 2 H7 lights. If I want to change all lights I'd also need 2 sets of H3 lights making it 3 x £91.95 = £275.85 just to have some nice lights..

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
The way I see it, what's the point in getting 'good looking' lights, for bulbs such as main beam or fog lights, when no one will see them? I changed low beam only, standard fogs (never used anyway) and Osram Nightbreaker main beam :)

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Cheap HID kits need to be connected to the battery etc and are harder to fit.

This isn't true, and I don't know where you got that from.
Look at any H7's from diane-shop (cheap ebay) ones and you will see they don't have the wiring harness, nor do the HIDS4U ones like you say.

You might be getting mixed up with the H4 Bi-Xenon HIDs as they need the harness to switch between main and full beam. Otherwise, you only need a wiring harness if your car is unable to provide the voltage needed by the HIDs to start up.

CAFFN

The way I see it, what's the point in getting 'good looking' lights, for bulbs such as main beam or fog lights, when no one will see them? I changed low beam only, standard fogs (never used anyway) and Osram Nightbreaker main beam :)

True, true. Guess I'll be changing my low beams soon then :D

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
You won't regret it, they looks the dogs danglies!

I have the H7R 5000k kit from HIDs4u (discount code strathy). Very easy to fit, great quality and has a 2 year guarantee :D Perfectly white, so will not gain any negative attention from the popo as well :)

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Try to get H7R rather than standard H7. H7R stop a random spread of light (which dazzles people at night), with a heatproof strip across the bulb. H7 HIDs are usually used in conjunction with projector (not reflector) headlights. But yes, other than different bulbs, that's all the kit you need.

May as well buy that cheap kit and get these bulbs http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H7R-4-3k-...arParts_SM&hash=item562c2b2612#ht_2113wt_1141

liam-lpm

seat ibiza 1.2
Jun 13, 2011
Kilwinning Scotland
i simply just changed the bulbs got a bright white main beam and a slightly blue side light makes a good bright look. although there not as bright as HID kits i think the bulbs are less hassle as the cops around my area are fineing people with HIDs and tbh i cant be bothered with the hassle

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
HIDs shouldn't be used for main beam UkSteffy. They require time to warm up and create the initial 'light arc', and if they are turned on and off many times in a short period of time (ie: flashing someone), then the life of the bulbs can be severely reduced.

It's not like anyone will see the yellow-ness of standard halogens on main beam anyway, so it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.