Hints for buying?

Hi Guys

Looking for a guide to anything to watch for or avoid. I'm looking to buy a 2017-2019 Leon with a DSG box, and I had a Mk2 Leon TDI DSG for many years and over 100k miles, but I have a specific issue now: I have a worsening back problem that shifted me to the DSG back in 2008, and now I need hand controls to drive safely. I've checked all that out, so it's not an issue- they are available for this car- except that I can't easily travel a long way to see a car (my OH drives but hates it), and I can't test drive one either. My last car was a 2010 Scirocco TDI DSG I had to sell earlier this year as it wasn't being used and wasn't a good choice to spend money on adapting.

I really liked my Leon and the Scirocco. I'd like 5 doors again, and I like the look of an FR. I'm unsure about either petrol or diesel: I always had diesel because of a longish commute, but it's likely i won't need to commute 5 days a week in the future. I want at least 150BHP, and a Cupra is probably overdoing it :)

I'm looking for as new as possible, as low mileage as possible given my budget, as I will be keeping the car for some time.

The Leon seems the sane choice as I like VAG cars, Golfs and Audis are just too much cash, and an Octavia is too long for my drive!

So: anything to look at, beyond the usual used car checks and service history? Are there any questionable engine choices?

Reactions: bigbadjay

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Very generally the Leon is a well regarded good value nice driving car. Big choice in engines/spec, You have to go to 180+ bhp TDI or TSI to get independent rear suspension, bigger brakes, front alloy knuckle performance improvements if that floats your boat.

One point I would make is my Dad who has a bad/stiff back finds getting in and out my Leon ST a struggle. Depending on how bad your back problem is it might be an idea to look for something more like an MPV or SUV for easier entry/exit?

I had a bad back a couple years ago (luckly just for a week) and I also found it very difficult getting in and out due to the height of the seat and low rake of the windscreen.

Reactions: Chris Bartram
Very generally the Leon is a well regarded good value nice driving car. Big choice in engines/spec, You have to go to 180+ bhp TDI or TSI to get independent rear suspension, bigger brakes, front alloy knuckle performance improvements if that floats your boat.
Oooh, that's worth knowing, thanks. That further makes the one I have in mind (a 184PS TDI FR) attractive.
One point I would make is my Dad who has a bad/stiff back finds getting in and out my Leon ST a struggle. Depending on how bad your back problem is it might be an idea to look for something more like an MPV or SUV for easier entry/exit?
That's a very good point, and I had thought of it, but the Ateca is all the money (like 4-5k more for equivalent spec), and the Arona with the 1.5 150PS seems to be as rare as rocking-horse crap, and I'm just not sure 115PS is going to be enough. I'm already having to stretch budget more than I was hoping for to fulfill the age/mileage requirements.
I had a bad back a couple years ago (luckly just for a week) and I also found it very difficult getting in and out due to the height of the seat and low rake of the windscreen.
I'm taking the view that it's not as low as the Scirocco :). My neighbour has a Mk3 ST, so I've checked getting in and out and seat height etc, and yes, it's lowish, especially as I'm tall, so I need the seat down, but not as bad as the Scirocco was- and the main problem with that was the length of the doors!

Thanks for your input. Anyone else got any comments?

My back problem does make getting in/out harder, but the main issue is that it affects feeling and dexterity with my feet, hence the hand controls. i really hate the idea of needing a modified car, and hate that I can't drive my OH's car any more, but I've had to accept that it's no longer safe.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Chris Bartram; it might be worth avoiding the 1.5 EVO engine, which was available with 130ps and 150ps. There has been lots of discussion on the forum of cars with this engine being hesitant and jerky to drive when cold and difficult to stop it kangaroo-ing. VW did produce a software fix, but it seems it wasn’t entirely successful. The kangarooing issue was also covered in the motoring press, and discussed on other VAG forums as this engine is used across the VAG brands.

Links to Honest John articles and some of the discussion threads on this forum;

@Chris Bartram; it might be worth avoiding the 1.5 EVO engine, which was available with 130ps and 150ps. There has been lots of discussion on the forum of cars with this engine being hesitant and jerky to drive when cold and difficult to stop it kangaroo-ing. VW did produce a software fix, but it seems it wasn’t entirely successful. The kangarooing issue was also covered in the motoring press, and discussed on other VAG forums as this engine is used across the VAG brands.
Thanks. I'd seen hints of that, on Briskoda I think. People seemed to think it wasn't (so much of?) a problem with DSG?

That's another reason to got go Arona with that engine then :) . If I have a Leon I will be going for 2.0TDI or 1.8 TSI.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
At no point would I suggest a Leon FR for someone with a (seemingly severe) bad back. I have spondylosis which I have managed for 12 years, albeit no where near as severe or dibilitating as yourself. It’s not unbearable, but not having full health unfortunately doesn’t help.

I’ve also had 2 Leon’s, a mk2 sport and currently a mk3 Fr 184 dsg st. If you value comfort or need an aid in mobility this is not the car for you. Get a long wheel base car with high profile tyres. Volvo springs to mind (seriously)

my back problems started when I got my mk2, but I was doing other things such as killing myself at work for years. Those days are gone and with loads of graft and strengthening I’m in a position where I’m not suffering anymore through lifestyle changes.

the Leon is a great car, hence why I’ve had 2 and would buy them all over again. The old saying you only live once comes to mind and if your heart is set on a Leon go for it. They are great for tall people seat slides waay back with good up and down movement- keep it high to aid access and egress.

the dsg is not perfect, aggressive/unsmooth take off is an issue for me which I hope to get mapped out this month. I can only bare driving around town in eco mode with the odd flick to sport. Again not a dealbreaker for me personally just a trait of the car. However I have been spoiled for the past 2.5 years and 75k miles when I got my 5 series, makes the Leon feel like a skateboard in comparison. The Leon Owns the BM in many other areas I’ll be totally honest.

A bit conflicting but totally honest take, be prepared for what you will be committing to. Note- to be honest most modern cars are deliberately made crashy, you could do worse 👍

At no point would I suggest a Leon FR for someone with a (seemingly severe) bad back. I have spondylosis which I have managed for 12 years, albeit no where near as severe or dibilitating as yourself. It’s not unbearable, but not having full health unfortunately doesn’t help.
People have said this to me in the past, but in all honesty, the crashy ride doesn't bother me. I've has varying degrees of back problems since my twenties, and in that time I've had 2 Scirocco Mk2, A Volvo 480 (awful), a Golf Mk2 Driver, a Mk2 Ibiza, Audi A3 Sport TDI, Fabia vRS, Leon TDI DSG, Scirocco Mk3 TDI. Several of those have had firm suspension and seats, and I find it suits me: I always looked forward to taking the higher-profile winter tyres off the Scirocco. I'd still have it now, but mileage and age was a factor in not having it adapted.
I’ve also had 2 Leon’s, a mk2 sport and currently a mk3 Fr 184 dsg st. If you value comfort or need an aid in mobility this is not the car for you. Get a long wheel base car with high profile tyres. Volvo springs to mind (seriously)an
Can't have a long car- my drive is about 4.5m long :), and LWB generally means long.... My Mk2 Leon was a sport, too.

my back problems started when I got my mk2, but I was doing other things such as killing myself at work for years. Those days are gone and with loads of graft and strengthening I’m in a position where I’m not suffering anymore through lifestyle changes.
Likewise :-(. I've had to accept I cannot stand for very long, and I can't walk for miles like I used to. Other stuff? Take your time and pace yourself....
the Leon is a great car, hence why I’ve had 2 and would buy them all over again. The old saying you only live once comes to mind and if your heart is set on a Leon go for it. They are great for tall people seat slides waay back with good up and down movement- keep it high to aid access and egress.
I kind of fancied an Ateca, but £££££, also wondered about Arona, but the 1.0 seems a bit weedy for my liking and the 1.5 is rare and not well thought of, it seems.
the dsg is not perfect, aggressive/unsmooth take off is an issue for me which I hope to get mapped out this month. I can only bare driving around town in eco mode with the odd flick to sport. Again not a dealbreaker for me personally just a trait of the car. However I have been spoiled for the past 2.5 years and 75k miles when I got my 5 series, makes the Leon feel like a skateboard in comparison. The Leon Owns the BM in many other areas I’ll be totally honest.
I've had 2 wet-clutch DSGs, and my better half has a 7-speed, dry-clutch Ibiza. My Leon wasn't so smooth, but was fine, the Scirocco and Ibiza are fine, really smooth. I'd be intersested on your experience after mapping...
A bit conflicting but totally honest take, be prepared for what you will be committing to. Note- to be honest most modern cars are deliberately made crashy, you could do worse 👍
Thanks very much, it's very much appreciated.

Reactions: bigbadjay

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
I have a 1.5 TSI DSG 150. It is a 2019 FR ST facelift which has run perfectly from new and now has 12k miles on the clock - never once "kangarooed" The good points are the DSG gear change options auto, paddles and stick. The drivers seat is excellent very supportive with adjustable lumbar support, I've never had back ache or stiffness. The standard armrest is very good and is adjustable for height and good to lean on. I have seen 68 mpg come up in the display on a long journey through endless M27 50 mph roadworks

The downsides for a back sufferer are the ride is hard and bumpy but not jarring and the car is pretty low to get in and out of.
I'm really pleased with it no buyer's remorse - Eclipse Orange all the way !

I have a 1.5 TSI DSG 150. It is a 2019 FR ST facelift which has run perfectly from new and now has 12k miles on the clock - never once "kangarooed" The good points are the DSG gear change options auto, paddles and stick. The drivers seat is excellent very supportive with adjustable lumbar support, I've never had back ache or stiffness. The standard armrest is very good and is adjustable for height and good to lean on. I have seen 68 mpg come up in the display on a long journey through endless M27 50 mph roadworks

The downsides for a back sufferer are the ride is hard and bumpy but not jarring and the car is pretty low to get in and out of.
I'm really pleased with it no buyer's remorse - Eclipse Orange all the way !
A couple I'm looking at are Eclipse Orange, have to say I like it.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Just to update: I have a 2018 FR Technology TDI on the drive, awaiting its modifications. I'm very pleased so far: seats are great, it's fine to get in and out of. Just need to persuade my better half to take me for a run in it :-/
Good work, that was quick.
what engine did you go for? presume DSG.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
For me, I need lumbar support in a seat, the Leon FR seats provide just enough to save ache although they side bolsters are now to wide for me of which are adjustable on some BMW's. When I replace my current Mk.3 Leon, due to the heater controls in the Mk. 4 it'll be for a Mazda 3 depending on its auto gearbox or BMW's 1 series due to the manual heater conrtols and seat's, I'm also sure Volvo and Mercedes have excellent seats in some models if youo can accept leather/faux leather of which I choose not to, it was a luxury years back to have a car with fabric seats for comfort in summer months..

CinderKona

Oct 12, 2021
I cannot add much more to the above but if travelling and testing is an issue could you use a car finding service such as Palmdale?