Horn upgrade

frboyz

Sep 26, 2004
Has anyone upgraded their horn on their beezer to a dual tone, if so what type & where from?
Cheers

gazjones

cant say ive heard of anyone doing it cant remember last time i used my horn its pretty pathetic though meep

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
yup I've done mine

it is one of the things that I have done to pretty much all of the cars that I have had

I fitted a pair of twin tone alhambra ones, its a bit of a tight fit but they just fit and plug straight in

they sound so much better than the factory micky mouse one

a bit easyer than a mk3 1.6 sport, the factory relay is only 15 amp and not strong enough for two horns so a slave relay was needed and a feed from the ignition

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Agree they are pathetic, i peeped at a mate the other day, and almost died with embarassment. I half expected a tune to the "wheels on the bus go round and round" to come out of the engine bay.

Derek

Jun 5, 2004
Kirkmuirhill
yes I did mine ages ago, just went to my local VW dealer and got the second tone horn (I used the Lupo GTi's horn setup as my brother had one and the 2nd horn I wanted was the same). two wires and a home-made bracket later it was done, I just joined standard cable to the existing connectors and have had no probs. Let me know if you need the part no for the horn, I should still have the receipt somewhere.

gazjones

looks like i was wrong!!
i think ive never used my horn in 3 years of driving!!!! apart from passengers beeping girls walking along the road! not the horn to use though!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
gazjones said:
looks like i was wrong!!
i think ive never used my horn in 3 years of driving!!!! apart from passengers beeping girls walking along the road! not the horn to use though!

you have hit the nail on the head :whistle:

gazjones

might think about this other horn se what difference it makes then become a beeping driver just because i have a beter horn

frboyz

Sep 26, 2004
Derek if you can dig the part number out that would be great - you know how cack the stealers are!!

BeEzA

Oct 3, 2005
Irvine, Scotland
i have twin air horns on mine :) although in the winter the compressor seams to freeze up a little causing them to make this mad kinda squashed donkey type noise lol

dav150n

Jul 23, 2006
durham
derek could you post the number of the lupo horn you got from the stealers please. (i take it it's just the low tone to the otherwise crap 'roadrunner beep' high tone)

sikedellic

Just get yourself a replacement horn from halfords. They still fit on the existing bracket, all you have to do is adapt the leads with 2 spade terminal connectors so they fit into the original connection port, then seal it up with hot glue. Also, you dont need to remove the whole bumper, just the left foglight panel (or just plastic panel if like me you arent lucky enough to have fogs) One more thing, if youre replacing the horn with something non-seat, make sure its not a negative-bodied horn. The first horn i tried was off a ford and as a result i went through about ten fuses!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members