horrible noise (posting for a mate)

mrk

May 4, 2007
my pal has a mk3 cupra and after he gets to 60mph there a horrible droning noise comeing from what we think is the back of the car and it makes the car/ steering wheel shudder

the car is totally standard and hes just replaced all the tyres and the discs and pads, the ball joints, tracking and track rod ends etc are all fine. any ideas??

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
my pal has a mk3 cupra and after he gets to 60mph there a horrible droning noise comeing from what we think is the back of the car and it makes the car/ steering wheel shudder

the car is totally standard and hes just replaced all the tyres and the discs and pads, the ball joints, tracking and track rod ends etc are all fine. any ideas??

Have a check of the shock absorbers for leaks, my LCR got to about 75mph and I got a similar noise and the rear N/s Shock was FUBAR'd

mrk

May 4, 2007
a mechanic has looked at his bearings and has said that if 1 is gone then its not bad enough yet to determine which bearing is away

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
a mechanic has looked at his bearings and has said that if 1 is gone then its not bad enough yet to determine which bearing is away

Should be easy to tell the difference
- If it's a wheel bearing then the noise gets worse when cornering and load is applied.
- if the noise happens when driving in a straight line i'd bet it's the damper

He may want to check it out PDQ this is what a dodgy damper did to my tyres
DSC00457.jpg

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
yeh look at the pic above this as said is caused by a faulty damper or just poor tyres, the noise if being caused by the tyre itself in sort of a 50p shape, i see this quite often at work.

photek

Would be interested in outcome mate as mine has a judder @ bang on 70mph. Feels like the steering wheel is loose! Its not though:D

Post up when he sorts it.

Cheers.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members