How Did This Happen?!

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
Today sitting at the lights in the Ibiza (going to a dodgy area so didnt wanna take the scoobie) an MG ZR 105 pulled up next to me, as i sat there we both looked at each other and the inevitable happened....we raced away from the lights, I was ahead 2 begin with, then he pulled slightly ahead then i just pulled away from him and arrived 1st at the next set of lights (quiet road no kids about...dont normally street race)! when at the lights he asked what engine i had...i was tempted to lie but I was honest and told him it was a 1.2! he almost :cry: and then accused me of lying as he was booting his carto its full potential!!!

What was going on there? how can a 1.2 ibiza beat a ZR 105?!

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
easy, it was made @ ROVER! :lol:

seriously though, weight, gear ratio's maybe? :confused:

sure your beeza hasn't been turbo'd and mapped when you weren't looking! ;)

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
: sure your beeza hasn't been turbo'd and mapped when you weren't looking! ;)

hmmmm unless the g/f is more clued up on these things than i thought....if i mentioned a re-map to her she would think it was something to do with the Sat Nav and dont even get me started on what she would think a turbo is! :lol:

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
:lol: :lol:

my missis is the same!:lol:

she keeps making the mistake of showing an interest in car stuff every now & then, so i bombard her with technical details and stats etc., her interest soon disperses! ;)

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
1.2 hidden power I tell u. And my GF pretends 2 care about the car and what Im doing to it then says, I still have the glove box dont I.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i had a rover 25 and tuned it to a zr 105bhp and it was so slow gearing definatly would have won you the race 1.2 nippy off the line i spose???

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
1.2 nippy off the line i spose???

yeh they are, i was ahead in 1st gear marginally behind in 2nd and ahead when i went into 3rd and quite far ahead 2 or 3 car lengths by the time i hit 4th, then had 2 break hard as the lights changed to red! :lol:

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
should have gone and got the scooby and you would have made the green light :lol:

but if the boy had any sense and i was in the scooby, the race wouldnt have happned in the 1st place :lol:

Altho my mum ALWAYS gets people in 1.1 Saxos and 1.0 corsa's trying to race her in her M3 she doesnt even need to change out of 1st gear to beat them! :lol:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
mummy racer hey :lol: the saxo's sunstrip gave him an extra 5hp and the neon dustcaps and exhust and washer jets and aerial and tax disc holder and interior light and regplate lights and under car neons gave him an extra 50bhp ;)

reedbradshaw

Spireite till i die
Oct 6, 2006
chesterfield
hahahah it happens all time to my mum in vxr she toys with them but then laughs as she gtes her foot down she once asked one lad in a saxo for another rqace class

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
lol, i wouldnt wanna know who my mum is trying to race! shes driving my old modified 1.2 clio lol. she says the ML is too big! i personally would take the ML its been mapped to 260bhp....its disgusting how such a massive 4x4 would eat my car alive!

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Some of the young lads round this way definitely don't know how to change gear. It sounds as if they've got 15 speed gearboxes the number of times they change up and down going along the straight main road through the village.

The fact that the ZR is a car originating from 1995 with a similar aged engine probably has something to do with it.

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i try my hardest not to race these ppl as in a diffent legue :lol: but sometimes i just cant help wanting to cover there neons in stones and smoke :wave:

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
I drove my parent's ZR 105 when my Arosa Sport was in for some minor fault. It was pretty gutless, I can tell you. My parents have both driven the Arosa and would agree it would have annihilated the MG, so I'm pretty sure an Ibiza 1.2 would give it a run for it's money.

I reckon that contest did come down to the gear ratios; the ZR was much better at cruising than the Arosa but truly gutless in a straightline. Plus the K-series engine was quite high revving; compared to the three pot 1.2 which is quite 'torquey', no?

ZR would easily see off an Arosa Sport around anything approaching a bend though.

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
how does a 1.2 go compared to a 1.4? i would be quite suprised if one could beet mine unless it was turbo'd or somethin down one of my roads i can get 0-70 in like 13 secs but its 0.7 miles long and i can get 90 along it before havin to break.. what kind of cars do u think i can poss win against?

Poverty

Today sitting at the lights in the Ibiza (going to a dodgy area so didnt wanna take the scoobie) an MG ZR 105 pulled up next to me, as i sat there we both looked at each other and the inevitable happened....we raced away from the lights, I was ahead 2 begin with, then he pulled slightly ahead then i just pulled away from him and arrived 1st at the next set of lights (quiet road no kids about...dont normally street race)! when at the lights he asked what engine i had...i was tempted to lie but I was honest and told him it was a 1.2! he almost :cry: and then accused me of lying as he was booting his carto its full potential!!!

What was going on there? how can a 1.2 ibiza beat a ZR 105?!

Im surprised you tried tbh. Hes either crap at gear changes or his engines shagged lol

andycalvia

Oct 20, 2004
Ayrshire
the joke is my engine is shagged also, Engine Management light is on, i had next to zero petrol in it, so was running pretty light lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.