How do I fit an air filter...im confused!

JD_SCN

Is it just an air filter aka panel filter of an induction kit with cone filter and pipe work?

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
If it just a panel filter then you need to remove the engine cover to fit it. Unclip the filter hose at the front of the engine bay and unclip it at the back of the engine where the airflow metre is. you then need to pop the cover off, normally grabbing it at opposite/diagonal corners and leavering it does the trick. Once you have it off, you will need to undue some torx screw on the underside of it, open it up and replace the filter, and roberts your fathers brother :)

307_TO_LEON_FR

Oct 17, 2008
Bradford, West Yorkshire
I thought the same with mine last week, but once you've unscrewed and found all the 8 screws the cover just pops off, drop the filter in then cover on and screw in the screws. Should take no longer than 10 minutes to do

Crackers

J400CBS
Sep 21, 2008
Hull
Whats the best panel filter for a 1.9tdi would you say. Will it make the engine louder and whats the advantage of them?

Maximus2000uk

An update

So, time for an update.

I had a go at fitting the air-filter over the weekend. A friend helped me.

After yanking the engine bay cover free (this took a surprisingly large amount of effort), the flipped the cover over to remove the panel filter. However, having undone the 8 screws, we still couldnt access the panel. We therefore removed the metal covering, and found 10 clips which needed to be pushed in. We couldnt do it, so gave up!

So, if you managed to fit it in 10mins, well done. However, as an amateur, it takes a lot longer.

If anyone in London fancies some simple money for doing the job, seeing as its 'quick and easy to do', let me know and ill happily contribute to your Christmas!

M

koh1

So, time for an update.

I had a go at fitting the air-filter over the weekend. A friend helped me.

After yanking the engine bay cover free (this took a surprisingly large amount of effort), the flipped the cover over to remove the panel filter. However, having undone the 8 screws, we still couldnt access the panel. We therefore removed the metal covering, and found 10 clips which needed to be pushed in. We couldnt do it, so gave up!

So, if you managed to fit it in 10mins, well done. However, as an amateur, it takes a lot longer.

If anyone in London fancies some simple money for doing the job, seeing as its 'quick and easy to do', let me know and ill happily contribute to your Christmas!

M

Hello, I could do it for you. Done mine on my 07' cupra.

I live in Greenford, W London, if you can get to me I'll do it for you.

PM me if you want me to do it and i'll give you my address.

Thanks KK

Foo56

Feb 6, 2007
Did you ever get this fitted & if so has it made much difference?

I'm thinking about treating myself for xmas but don't really know what to get when it comes to air filter - I obvisouly want performance but sound is as important to me I think!! Love the sound of a good engine lol

Maximus2000uk

As said above, I couldnt fit it myself. I asked for some help, but due to time constraints, it'll now be done in January when im back in the UK. Ill update at that stage. My belief though, is that without an induction kit, the noise will stay similar.