how do you adjust the main beam height level on leon mk1?

skijacklam

hi, i have a seat leon mk1. just wondering how do you adjust the main beam height level? i have tried using the dial in the car located on the right side of the steering wheel. i turned the dial as high as possible. but the main beam is still way too low and when i am driving on long straight roads i can't really see that far ahead.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
The dial in the car is only for slight adjustment for when you have heavy items and people in the boot/back seats. There are little white wheels next to the headlight clusters, under the bonnet. Although you might want to take it to a friendly MOT garage and get them to adjust it for you.

skijacklam

The dial in the car is only for slight adjustment for when you have heavy items and people in the boot/back seats. There are little white wheels next to the headlight clusters, under the bonnet. Although you might want to take it to a friendly MOT garage and get them to adjust it for you.

thats great. would you be able to show me a picture of where is the location of this white wheel?

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Can't find the picture that was on the forum. You can't miss them if your looking around the back of the headlight covers.
Might have to take the covers off (two metal clips) I can't remember.

skijacklam

i have found those 2 white wheels to adjust the levels and lateral for the lights on my leon mk1. now which one to i turn to move up and clockwise or anticlockwise?

andycupra

status subject to change
or if you are competant and confident they are aligned correctly and its just the height you want to change.. you could park up facing a wall, not where the light pattern is on the wall and work out which does what by turning the wheels...

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
I need to adjust mine untill i get time to get to an MOT place, do you need an allen key or other tool to adjust them because i can't seem to turn them by hand. And which one does the vertical axis?

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
you can adjust with an allan key, there are holes in the front panel above the adjusters, put a key through there and adjust away!

daboy3000

No Longer a Seat owner
Jul 2, 2008
Oxted
cool thanks, i think there are two, which one does the height and which one moves them left and right?

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
or if you are competant and confident they are aligned correctly and its just the height you want to change.. you could park up facing a wall, not where the light pattern is on the wall and work out which does what by turning the wheels...

Height is still an MOT requirement and would still need to be set on a beam tester to avoid dazzling oncoming cars.

andycupra

status subject to change
Height is still an MOT requirement and would still need to be set on a beam tester to avoid dazzling oncoming cars.

of course you set them up so they dont dazzle oncoming traffic. But you dont need special equipment to achieve this, - just use some initiative. ;)

if you are not competent / confident then pay a garage to do it, but honestly its not rocket science.

Dec 6, 2008
Shropshire
of course you set them up so they dont dazzle oncoming traffic. But you dont need special equipment to achieve this, - just use some initiative. ;)

if you are not competent / confident then pay a garage to do it, but honestly its not rocket science.

You dont need special equipment to do the left to right adjustment either, but without it both are still a stab in the dark, with all the initiative and confidence in the world, your still just guessing at where you think it should be.

andycupra

status subject to change
You dont need special equipment to do the left to right adjustment either, but without it both are still a stab in the dark, with all the initiative and confidence in the world, your still just guessing at where you think it should be.

not if you use some initiative and time.
But like i say if you are not sure get a garage to adjust them.

My 'stabs in the dark' have been confirmed as correct by MOT garages everytime
So i guess im just lucky :)

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
cool thanks, i think there are two, which one does the height and which one moves them left and right?

Out of the 2 Allen key screws, the one near the center of the car does the height, and the one on the outside, near the turn signal bulb, does the left-right adjustment.

Adjusted mine last night, near a wall. Left (driver, European car) headlight was almost spot on, despite 12 years of rough roads and some chassis mods. Right (passenger) was spot on in horizontal plane, but 12 inches above the mark, at 25 ft from the wall. Went to the spot after 4 turns of the screw. Left the adjustment about 1 inch below the mark, although 2 inches might have been closer to factory requirements.

The rule is: mark the center of the headlight, where the bulb sits, on the wall, back off 25 ft / 7.5 m, adjust the beams to fall 2 inches below the mark.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.