How do you get the radio out of the mk5 ??

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
I've just bought a new facia to install 2 double DIN radio into my mk5, but i cannot even get the facia off !. I daren't prise it too much incase i snap it. I've tried with quite a lot of pressure (screwdirver behind the facia), but i'm marking the soft dash surround area and it will not pop off.

Is there a simple way of pulling the facia off so that i can get at the screws to take it out ?

(Also, once i get the facia off will i need allen keys to unscrew the radio ?)

Regards,
Andy

tur8o_boi

Aug 21, 2008
shouldnt be that difficult to prise it off....took me about 2mins....
trick is to start in one of the corners and then get your finger behind and slide across...obviously being careful not to cut yourself.
it literally just pops off....

tur8o_boi

Aug 21, 2008
o and its a T20 or T25 torx bit that you need, not allen key :)

p.s pics when you have finished....preetty pls!!

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Cheers all!. I'll have to have another go at it.

Yeah i ordered the wrong facia too didn't i !! - i ordered the Dublin Grey (which i had been advised was correct), but it's a light grey and i think i must have needed the Black Azabache or the Black Nit one, damn !. I'll have to order another facia.

I plan to put one of these in: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250455923240&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Any good ? - looks the bizz and has good write up.

Will the wiring loom be a simple fit into this radio (standard ISO), without the need for adaptors etc ?. I plan to try my single DIN radio before buying an expensive one, just to make sure it all works !

Where will i get a T20/T25 torx bit from ??.

Last edited:

tur8o_boi

Aug 21, 2008
if i am honest.....which i will be sorry :blink:

i have no idea how that will fit.

i do however know that a few of my friends have had one.
one had an issue with it not storing any preset radio stations of sound setting (could be down to his wiring) and another just wasnt happy with the screen quality.

each to your own.

good luck with it, sorry i cant be much help about the headunit buddy.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
i'll be equally honest.

I'd personally, NEVER buy electrical equipment form the "unknown" manufacturers.
it'll just break, be of poor quality and you'll end up wanting to buy something better soon enough.

buy cheap, buy twice

In terms of connection, i'd imagine as it's a new car it'll be a simple iso block jobby

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Cheers, good advice there. I was a bit dubious, but after searching the make "Meos", i found they had a big range of photo frames etc, so i figured they were reputable.

I really just want one which takes SD / USB sticks. Not too bothered about DVD screen etc. Want Bluetooth on it though, i don't want to lost that facility from the old factory fitted one.

Any ideas ?

Best Regards,
Andy

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Im looking at retro fitting the MEDIA-IN kit that you can spec from factory, gives you a USB port along with the aux jack.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
should do, i think it's that which they use out of the factory, they use the dension100 as the aftermarket ipod add-on but the 100 doesnt have USB playback

Seriously fella that thing will be utter poo, as are those cheep photo frames. I used to have a top spec Pioneer double din head unit in my MK$ that cost me the best part of £1000 all fitted and connected in and that had some serious faults so i dread to think how the interface/UI/OS will be for £200. Oh and that unit fitted to a 8p Audi A3 in the add photo it would cause all sorts of fault codes through the CAN BUS.

The other challenge i think you may have is fitting the unit in, in the MK4 for example although it has a double din slot there is a vast amount of plastic that needs to be ground down and filed back before fitting, as it as that sounds it took me the best part of day to fit the whole thing as FR TDI can tell you two

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Im looking at retro fitting the MEDIA-IN kit that you can spec from factory, gives you a USB port along with the aux jack.

That would be the most idel thing if only i could get it done !!! - i really want to keep the factory radio in as i think it's awesome !.

I REALLY want to be able to use a USB stick with it though, so do you think the Dension 300 would do that for me ???. How easy is it to fit ??. Are there any dealers out there who could do it for me, and at what cost ?. (I'm in the Durham/Newcastle area).

Best Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Seriously fella that thing will be utter poo, as are those cheep photo frames. I used to have a top spec Pioneer double din head unit in my MK$ that cost me the best part of £1000 all fitted and connected in and that had some serious faults so i dread to think how the interface/UI/OS will be for £200. Oh and that unit fitted to a 8p Audi A3 in the add photo it would cause all sorts of fault codes through the CAN BUS.

The other challenge i think you may have is fitting the unit in, in the MK4 for example although it has a double din slot there is a vast amount of plastic that needs to be ground down and filed back before fitting, as it as that sounds it took me the best part of day to fit the whole thing as FR TDI can tell you two

I'm coming round to the idea that i think you guys are right !. I really want to be able to use USB stick on my original factory unit (see post above).

Failing that, what are the Ripspeed ones from Halfords like ?, they seem to have a decent review. Is ANY radio i fit going to kick up fault codes with the CAN Bus or just the cheapo units ?

Regards,
Andy

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
stand in front of the mirror and ask that question again :whistle:

Dont quote me on it but i have a feeling that the MK5 doesn't use CAN BUS:think:

Sorry, i'm a novice in the audio department, i take it they're cr@p then ?
CAN Bus ? - is it good (in respect of fitting an audio system) that it doesn't have CAN Bus ?

Andy

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The MK5 Ibiza does have CAN-BUS also has some LIN-BUS systems.

Im going to look into the MEDIA-IN kit anyhow, fitted some to Golfs etc and its not difficult or expensive. Just need to fin if you can get he trim with the two sockets in it.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
I've just contacted Autosounds in Newcastle to see if they can fit the Dension 300 for me. I'll see what they say when they ring me back. I think this is the way i'd prefer it done as i want to keep the original head unit.

One question though, it says that the Dension 300 has AUX-in. But as you know the Ibiza mk5 already has an AUX-in, so does that mean there will be 2 x AUX-ins ?, or will it make the original AUX-in defunct ?

Also, what are they like to fit ??,
Are there loads of wires etc on the Dension 300 ? (tight fit)
Where would the unit be placed in order to access its USB port ?
Can i bring an extension USB cable out from it so that i only need to house a smaller USB end, rather than housing the whole unit ?
(this is assuming they charge too much to fit it. I'll have a go at fitting it if they do charge too much). I can get a new Dension 300 for around £65 to £100 from ebay)

I won't lose original BlueTooth functionality will i ????

(i'm a novice btw, if you hadn't already guessed)

Best Regards,
Andy

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
The OE AUX socket will become defunct, blue tooth should be ok, but not seen how they connect, if the Denison uses the same plug you'll loose it.