How High is the bite on your clutch??? - UPDATED???

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
The biting point on my clutch is right at the top. It actually gets a little higher when the car is warmed up.

How high is your??? If this is to high, do you think the master cylinder / slave is on it's way out? (I have used the search, but nothing covers height)

I have checked for leaks etc but nothing visable. Or can the bite be adjusted??

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
I'd like to know also, mines the exact same as yours, it virtual off the pedal my biting point.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Not really, its like a brake system, the friction plate wears the same as pads, so when pads are low u need to push the pedal harder than usual. Is the clutch slipping? Try geting the clutch fluid changed.

danny20vt

going back to basics
Thread hijack/silly question time.

Is the brake and clutch fluid In the same resevoir?
past cars have had one each but I can't find one for the clutch on mine.

Or do I need to actually open my eyes to see where it is?

EDIT: My clutch biting point is about 2/3's of the way up

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Thread hijack/silly question time.

Is the brake and clutch fluid In the same resevoir?
past cars have had one each but I can't find one for the clutch on mine.

Or do I need to actually open my eyes to see where it is?

Yes it is mate, you will see a hose coming out the side of the reserviouir. You really need to keep it topped right up or you will have to bleed the clutch if the level drops too low.

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
Not really, its like a brake system, the friction plate wears the same as pads, so when pads are low u need to push the pedal harder than usual. Is the clutch slipping? Try geting the clutch fluid changed.

Not noticed it slipping, tried pulling off in 4th and putting my foot down at 30mph in 6th. No signs but saying that I will have more of a test tomorrow.

Ill change the fluid, got to be worth a try.

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
The brakes and clutch are on the same system, So you need to change the lot. topping it up wont work as there might be air in there already that needs bleeding out.

Thanks for the advice, Im off work on tuesday and it looks like its a play with the car day.

Is there a how to guide on here at all? Or anybody got any sugestions to where I start draining the system??

Also any recomendations on brand of fluid to put back in??

Cheers again for the replys

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
Update??

UPDATE -

Today I took the car to my mates work (works for merc as a spanner man) to bleed the brakes and clutch.

Brakes done in 15mins, no probs at all. Came to do the clutch, loosened the nipple on the slave cylinder and no fluid coming through. Clutch pedal, when pushed fell to the floor and had to be pulled back up.

Tried to pump the clutch to bleed out the fluid and only a very small dribble came out. It seemed like there was a blockage somewhere.

After a hour of checking pipes etc we took off the pipe the leads from the master cylinder to the clutch and no fluid dripping out.

Removed the pipe into the master and whoosh fluid pissing out. So we took the pedal / cylinder out to have a look and when pumped manually it was not pushing any air out from it.

The cylinder looks fine though, which I was a bit confused by as I was led to believe when these go, the rod in the middle sticks out of the pedal.

By what is discribed above, do you think the cylinder is goosed????

Cars sat at the back of his work until monday as nobody had the part in stock or were even open on a saturday afternoon.

Any clarity on the above very welcomed.

Cheers

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
My point is nothing in a sealed system can really get blocked, a moving part has to stick, or seize solid for it not to work. Right so at the CSC no fluid was coming out, sounds as though the seals in the master cylinder have gone and wont hold/build much or enough pressure for the system to work. Also on another note, if the brake fluid reserviour is below min, then it can also cause problems with the master cylinder for the clutch as thats where it gets its fluid supply from. Also check the flexi hose from the pipe on chassis leg to CSC. The master cylinder is a known problems on these cars but usually is when the clip breaks off the MC and the pedal is left on the floor.

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
I thought it was strange really, but we had a machine pushing fluid into the system (dont know what they are called sorry) so the rersviour was full at all times and there was slight pressure pushing the fluid through, if you know what I mean.

Checked all the pedal and the clips were all in place as the pedal would stay up when pulled.

When we disconnect the pipes into the CSC fluid ran out of the reserviour and the pipe from the clutch.

Is it possible for the cylinder to get knackered inside, and could this be one of the reasons my bite was so high?

What a bloody week so far lol

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
Yeah anything is possible mate, seals dont last forever same as a brake MC. Once the seals go they allow fluid to seep past them and you have a drop in pressure in the hydraulic curcuit.

TrisLC

Aug 26, 2009
Stoke / Cheshire
Nice one, Im going to order a new one and stick it in on monday night. See if that sorts it out, cant make it any worse can it.

Only joy is that I will be able to do it in a state of the art garage and not in the sodding rain on my drive. Was like a kid in a sweet shop today, snap on tastic.

Just to check, you do bleed from where the up/down shift etc? Always thought you would bleed from underneath.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.