How High is the bite on your clutch??? - UPDATED???

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
mine feels high and not quite as easy as I think it used to be, but my fluid is going to be changed friday. brakes aren't feeling as good either so its obviously due.

Nov 10, 2019
Hi guys new to this site so first of all wanted to say hello to everyone
I've recently purchased a seat ibiza 1.9 fr, paperwork says its had a brand new clutch and flywheel fitted at 77k it's now only on 84k, the lad told me it had been remapped but I have no paperwork of this. Sometimes in first gear with foot right down on the clutch car still moves slightly, sometimes when in reverse I struggle to get it out of reverse. Really confused as surely a clutch should last longer than less than 10000 Miles? Paperwork also states it had gearbox oil changed 6 months ago any help would be much appreciated

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi guys new to this site so first of all wanted to say hello to everyone
I've recently purchased a seat ibiza 1.9 fr, paperwork says its had a brand new clutch and flywheel fitted at 77k it's now only on 84k, the lad told me it had been remapped but I have no paperwork of this. Sometimes in first gear with foot right down on the clutch car still moves slightly, sometimes when in reverse I struggle to get it out of reverse. Really confused as surely a clutch should last longer than less than 10000 Miles? Paperwork also states it had gearbox oil changed 6 months ago any help would be much appreciated

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. Obviously it's hard to say for sure, but sounds like it could be the clutch slave cylinder.

Nov 10, 2019
Np
Hi mate, welcome to the forum. Obviously it's hard to say for sure, but sounds like it could be the clutch slave cylinder.

Hi mate,
Thank you for your reply, I'm going to try bleeding the system this morning see what that achieves. If nothing then I will change the slave cylinder, I think euro car parts do them?
King regards

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Hi Mate,

Change break fluid, bleed the system an still.no different. Suppose the master cylinder is worth replacing then?

It's not the master cylinder it's the slave cylinder! I'm not sure if it's internal or external to the gearbox on the diesel models, i'm sure one of the diesel lads here will be able to answer that for you.

Like i say though it's hard to say 100% mate, so you may want to seek a second opinion before replacing it. If the clutch is almost brand new, then the fact that it fails to disengage properly can only really be the slave cylinder or that they messed something up with the installation.

Nov 10, 2019
It's not the master cylinder it's the slave cylinder! I'm not sure if it's internal or external to the gearbox on the diesel models, i'm sure one of the diesel lads here will be able to answer that for you.

Like i say though it's hard to say 100% mate, so you may want to seek a second opinion before replacing it. If the clutch is almost brand new, then the fact that it fails to disengage properly can only really be the slave cylinder or that they messed something up with the installation.
Hi mate thank you for your response. I think your right, I think when they done the clutch they kept the old slave cylinder! Beats me why you wouldn't change that aswell, probably to save a few quid. but I think that is the cause. Its internal so box has to come off to get it sorted. I do like to good project, but it's far to cold to be out taking gearboxes off lol. Its intermittent on an off isn't always doing it. I've been quoted silly money to get it sorted probably more then the car is worth. Thank you though mate I do appreciate you taking the time to reply an your opinion. I will update once it's been changed to confirm that this was the problem.

Kind regards

Natty

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.