How much to lower suspension and how?

AlexToledoV510v

Hi there.

I bought my toledo 10 months ago. Love it. Ticks every box, except maybe fuel consumption.

Anyway, it currently looks like this:

car1.JPG

I think the photo above shows the car at a ride height that reminds me of a taxi.

I'd like to lower it to look more like this:

car1lowered.jpg

Looking more like a proper sports saloon.

So, given I'm a complete noob, how much would I have to lower it to achieve this effect and should I use those expensive andjustable "coilovers" or fixed springs and shocks?

Thanks for your input,

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
:wtf: You on drugs lol. I think maybe 30 - 40 mm would do that, what's the milage like? You have to consider wether it's sagging with age or not and if so by how much. The pic you've got looks about 30-40mm though, a lot of guys fit coilovers so they can adjust it up and down to suit themselves. You could try asking DPM Performance on the home page and see what he says, might get a better answer.:)

AlexToledoV510v

Thanks.

Sorry about the multiple posts above. New users aren't allowed to post pictures until they have posted 15 times so I did them in order to display the above images. There is no way I can see to delete the posts.

With 114k on the clock it feels vague and barge like through the corners so a sharpen up is in order. I figured I may as well lower it seeing so the components would have to be replaced anyway.

Also, is it possible to get a shallower sump? Otherwise I don't think I can lower it at all.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Given the mileage, replacement of the suspension bushes should sharpen up the handling a great deal. OEM replacement, or stiffer aftermarket ones.

As long as you accept that lowering would be for appearance and not handling, lower away. Lowering by any aftermarket kit (springs only or spring/damper combinations) will get you stiffer suspension with less travel and increase the distance between the roll center and the CofG, making the car more prone to roll i.e. to lift a wheel.

I'd suggest replacing the bushes first, then see how it feels. It can be done DIY but is easiest if you have access to a press to get the new bushes in square. It would take some time, as you have to get the suspension elements off the car.

I don't know if there is a shallow sump available for the V5.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
I think you can but you can also fit a skid plate to protect the sump, check out this guys Bora,

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=297015

As for deleting you normally select edit then delete but not sure if that still works.

Bushes are a good thing to replace too, the front wishbones are a bit pants as standard so most fit cupra bushes in the rear and poly in the front, I went for the Mk4 golf R32 ones because my car's a bit older. I think too that guy has fitted spacers to lift the engine a bit because his is so low.:)

Still feels a bit nicer on the road under normal driving though eh Muttley? Not suitable for competition though.:)

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Given the current state of our roads, and the fact it's not likely to get better any time soon, I'd hesitate to reduce the ground clearance of my poor old diesel. I'm quite happy with the look as it is. New bushes should get rid of the slop caused by over 100k miles of bumps. Improved roadholding for tarmac use is best served by uprating the anti-roll bars, from what people have said in the forum.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise