How Much Would you Spend?

Smart22186

Feb 21, 2006
Peterborough, England
Hi, i curently own a leon sport.. however like most people i've always wanted a Cupra R but insurance wouldnt permit.. although now i've managed to find 1. only problem is my current car.

It jusr seems to want ALL my money. but not in a good way, im really starting to get sick of spending money on my car when really im wishing it was something its not.

The other week the fault light came on, jst before its 100K service, so i figured i'd get them to check it out when the car goes in.

So car goes in for servie this came to
£241 including new break fluid and coolant.
i get adviced of the following problems;
Clutch Feels heavy - £442
3 Faults in memory 2 sprodic 1 is timing @ £125
Alternator belt needs replacing - £56
Brakes low on front - £261
Dump Valve noisy £81 (even tho this is a new valve from forge)

So.. took my car into seat to get the timing sorted they now tell me its going to cost £257 and not £125 so i decided against it and took the car to another recomended garage who after a week of having it have come to the conclusion its the timing chain and tensioners that are out.. costing £677 however they are only a very tiny amount out. so... should i spend all this money on a car i wish was something else? or should i sell up? can any1 with any idea comment on the prices.. i know Seat has a huge markup (brakes for example can be done for under £100 by myself) however the other stuff is beond my knowledge.

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
well seems to me that its going to cost alot to get it sorted then if you wanted to sell it to get the R then you wouldnt make your money back maybe its best to cut your losses and sell it maybe a bit cheaper then get the r, thats what i'd prob do but its up to you

they do seem exspensive when i hear these stories yet (touch wood) i've not had anything major like this yet and im not the softest of drivers lol

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
If you think about, thoses prices seem very high, you might as well get it done a local garage for far less than that and then sell it. works out cheaper

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
Clutch Feels heavy - £442
3 Faults in memory 2 sprodic 1 is timing @ £125
Alternator belt needs replacing - £56
Brakes low on front - £261
Dump Valve noisy £81 (even tho this is a new valve from forge)

So.. took my car into seat to get the timing sorted they now tell me its going to cost £257 and not £125 so i decided against it and took the car to another recomended garage who after a week of having it have come to the conclusion its the timing chain and tensioners that are out.. costing £677

clutch i got done for £100 supplied parts to
brakes i got for 190 all in on fronts
dv speak to forge or you may have a leak somewhere else

Smart22186

Feb 21, 2006
Peterborough, England
Hmm, cheers guys for your input.. i did take the car to a local garage and they are the ones who seem to have been very honest and a great help but @ the same time they reckon I'm looking at £677 to fix the chain & new cam-belt because you cant get to the chain without taking off the belt. i took the car to a car service/ dealer today he offered me £2,000 for it... seems very low.. i was honest with him so I'd get the worst case scenario what do people think to this offer?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Don't be honest with a garage if your going to sell it, bullshit them all the way and let them find out if they can
Go to a garage with a LCR you want, keep your mouth shut about your car problems(does the car drive okay?) and trade it for the LCR

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.