How noisy is your TDI PD

MagicFR

Feb 17, 2006
Manchester
Hey all,

went to see an 06 pre facelift 1.9 TDI PD biza and found that it was a bit noisy. It had no engine cover as my FR petrol does but other than that box standard engine.

Your views?

Thanks

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
I have heard that the PD can be noiser due to the injection sytem on these engines, older are common rail injection and the PD is Pumpe Duese (not sure of spelling here). i not really much noisier with or without cover, i noticed nothing. Always thought VW's were noisy anyway (same engines iirc).

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Bit hard to quantify noise...but it can be affected by temperature, fuel used, etc and can vary noticeably from one car to the next.

I bet on a warm day with some Millers in the fuel you'd be amazed how much quieter it was...

MagicFR

Feb 17, 2006
Manchester
Ooookkk I shall take your replies then that there is nothing wrong with it:)

When you turn the key though if standing outside you can here the fuel going through though? Like you are squeesing it from a mayo bottle?:)

Sorry for the analogy couldn't think of anything else

MagicFR

Feb 17, 2006
Manchester
Bit hard to quantify noise...but it can be affected by temperature, fuel used, etc and can vary noticeably from one car to the next.

I bet on a warm day with some Millers in the fuel you'd be amazed how much quieter it was...

Millers? what is that? the car has 3/4 tank so will be a couple of weeks till I get some shell in it (i hope at least that's how could the consumption will be)

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002

When you turn the key though if standing outside you can here the fuel going through though? Like you are squeesing it from a mayo bottle?:)

Yep that's the fuel pump in the tank priming the system.

MagicFR

Feb 17, 2006
Manchester
another tick then with no problem

As you could probably tell I have never gone for a 2nd hand car and having sthing that COULD have an issue just scares me a tad bit:)

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Cruising at 70mph in 6th on the motorway, you'll hear the engine even less than you would if it was a petrol. That's what I like about it. It's a diesel, but it's very refined.

keefy

Dec 4, 2006
Start up, particularly on a cold day is quite chuggy and vibratory.
Once warmed up though all is good and you can't even hear it over the wind/tyre noise on the motorway.
Hardly surprising at <2krpm.

MagicFR

Feb 17, 2006
Manchester
ah the start of a new era:)

a few savings that I quickly spotted are
Road Tax is £115 instead of £196
Insurance will be cheaper - not sure how much cheaper yet
FUEL Economy - I know do about 290miles per tank I assume will go up to 500miles a tank?

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich

listen to this clip and if it's a noise like that at 5 seconds in it's perfectly normal buddy

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.