How safe is limp mode?

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Well as a few of you know, I'm having problems after having a hybrid turbo fitted to my PD130. It's going into limp mode quite often, I just wondered how safe it was to be running my car in limp mode for "long periods" of time - 10-15mins and 10-15miles?

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
itll give you very poor mpg thats 4 sure

So whats the worst that can happen when the turbo is not kinkin in?

over fueling? burn top of pistons???

more crap getting onto turbo and through exhaust?

and piss poor acceleration!

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
itll give you very poor mpg thats 4 sure

So whats the worst that can happen when the turbo is not kinkin in?

over fueling? burn top of pistons???

more crap getting onto turbo and through exhaust?

and piss poor acceleration!

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
it does NOT overfuel. :)

Stick it on instant MPG setting and boot it. You will notice it only goes down to about 30mpg instant even on full throttle. It only allows about 30 to 40% acceleration on my estimate.

NO damage whatsoever is caused by limp mode as there would be sod all point in the VAG group making cars go into limp mode if it did more damage. :) Limp home mode is just that. Limp a bit, crap power, but SAFE - the most important thing.

I ran my car for 3 weeks+ in limp mode when I did the pd130 conversion until I twigged I needed the pd130 boost sensor as well....

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
it does NOT overfuel. :)

Stick it on instant MPG setting and boot it. You will notice it only goes down to about 30mpg instant even on full throttle. It only allows about 30 to 40% acceleration on my estimate.

NO damage whatsoever is caused by limp mode as there would be sod all point in the VAG group making cars go into limp mode if it did more damage. :) Limp home mode is just that. Limp a bit, crap power, but SAFE - the most important thing.

I ran my car for 3 weeks+ in limp mode when I did the pd130 conversion until I twigged I needed the pd130 boost sensor as well....

Ah good! :D That's better then! To be honest, when it's been going into limp mode I've been leaving it. A). if I DO have a problem with my turbo (as suspected) then the turbo is barely running at all in limp mode - therefore it should be saving it!

Is the boost sensor the map sensor?

Thanks for the help!

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Is the boost sensor the map sensor?

Yes - I think the technical name for it I have seen is "thrust sensor" - At least that's what it's called on vagcom when you have a fault on it like I did.

I was also running VT2 hybrid at the time of my 3 weeks off-boost and no harm done at all. Certainly went better once I got a 3 bar sensor in there though. :whistle:

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Yes - I think the technical name for it I have seen is "thrust sensor" - At least that's what it's called on vagcom when you have a fault on it like I did.

I was also running VT2 hybrid at the time of my 3 weeks off-boost and no harm done at all. Certainly went better once I got a 3 bar sensor in there though. :whistle:

That's what I had changed yesterday. For a standard one again but my turbo shouldnt be exceeding 2 bar.

Apparently I now have actuator problems or sticky veins. So my newly hybrid'ed turbo now have to come off! :cry:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.