How to: TT Short Shifter

Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Right, this guide will show you how to fit the Audi TT Short Shifter (part no: 8N0 711 046A) to an Mk3 Ibiza Cupra.

This is the shifter we will be fitting,
87319075.jpg

The standard one can be found just to the left of the power steering fluid reservoir, you might need to remove the airbox and maf to give yourself more room.
std2.jpg

Here from another angle showing the 2 gear linkages (we will only be concerned with the one on the right)
std1o.jpg

First we need to mark the spline so we can remember where it clips onto, then remove the 13mm nut shown here, you can also see where I used tip ex to put a dot on the spline.
std2.jpg

Once you have the nut off pull the spring back (the one we marked up) and twist, this will lock the spring back and free up a hand to remove the shifter. Some advice says to gently wiggle off, i tried this but resorted to pushing down on it then pulling upwards sharply (common sense is needed here), but don't worry it will come off with persuasion.

Now time to fit the new one, this is what it should look like out the box
32887268.jpg

See the 'notch' under the spring, this locates back on the shaft holding the spring tight, so push back and twist and it should lock
37349798.jpg

Like this, and thats how we will fit it back on the car.
68118113.jpg

The shaft we removed the 13mm nut off is keyed so the new shifter will want to go in the same place, its pretty easy to find. Now all we have to do is extend the spring again, so unlock the spring out of its notch by twisting and line the end up with the dot of tip ex we left on the spline.

Should look something like this finished,
endle.jpg

Thats it, now check all gears can be accessed, (if not then go back under the hood and move the spring up/down the spline by a few mm) and now take it for a drive enjoying your new shifter.

For a £23 mod it's definitely worth the money and reduces vertical throw by about 20%-30% and can be used in conjunction with the B&M shifter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Ibiz...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415720c10f
(or an ebay copy if you want really short changes)

Any advice just ask. :)

Tucker157

Nov 20, 2010
Falkirk/Central Scotland
Part number, I'm being told, is not on the system? Any more details on getting ahold of this?

Am I right with early fwd tt? Audi are being useless!!!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Just spoke to Audi and 8N0 711 051b is apparently their new number for this. So if you quote them this and tell them you need the ball and socket one then you should be sorted :)

Vladimir

Is there a major benefit of fitting one of these? See loads of people doing just wondering.

golfguy

Jun 28, 2013
Ebay are now showing a different part than the one shown in the link ( I cant post the URL yet as I have less than 15 posts ) is this one any good ?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members