HPI Check

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Afternoon all,

I’ve recently returned from living abroad and brought my car back(originally UK registered) with me.

I tried to sell it to a company the other night who made a reasonable offer which I accepted but when he tried to HPI check the car it didn’t recognise the registration.

I’ve had confirmation from DVLA that the reg is now active on there system as of 28/09 and I also have the V5. Could this just be the HPI sites haven’t caught up with the DVLA yet? Obviously the car was on foreign plates until I had the go ahead from DVLA.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

CW92

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2021
I know in the past I have seen issues with the DVLA marking a reg as active but not updating the database that 3rd parties have access to for up to a month.

One way to test maybe to go to a Car Insurance comparison site, autotrader sale page or a car parts site and input the reg to see if that returns that car.
  • If it does then you should contact HPI to see why it isn't found in their database.
  • If it doesn't then the DVLA will need to update their database and I don't know if this can be pushed by calling them.

Reactions: Hartosh1

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
The DVLA is almost at a standstill at the moment so I imagine this might not be a priority job at the moment, if you phone get comfy with coffee and cake and be prepared for a wait.

Reactions: Hartosh1
Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
I know in the past I have seen issues with the DVLA marking a reg as active but not updating the database that 3rd parties have access to for up to a month.

One way to test maybe to go to a Car Insurance comparison site, autotrader sale page or a car parts site and input the reg to see if that returns that car.
  • If it does then you should contact HPI to see why it isn't found in their database.
  • If it doesn't then the DVLA will need to update their database and I don't know if this can be pushed by calling them.
It’s recognised on certain websites and not on others.

I think it’s a waiting game for now which is frustrating because I’ve been offered a good price and have my eye on something that I know will end up selling haha!

Thank you for the replies.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members