huge problem with newly purchased cupra R

tom_girl_racer

Folks,

I recently bought a an ibiza cupra r privately owned. He had told me that everything had been changed took a test drive in it he drove it looks all over the car and car seemed in great shape... 3 weeks ago the start motor went, it turned into a major problem with it being the ring gear, fly wheel and the clutch, taking into consideration that the previous owner had no problems with it before and has put everything brand new into it...so he said, and as he is a member on the site i read thru most of his posts before I bought the car. I've tried contacting the previous owner via email, phone calls and txt message but no reply. What would be the best way to sort it out? it it common for all these things to go together? would it have been as they were all pgraded to balanced lightweight fy wheel and and helix organic clutch?
Cheers in advance :)

tom_girl_racer

I brought a mechanic with me to check it over and have a look at everything and I DID drive it, so did the mechanic and the seller drove her first...

flashbsd

This is the risk i'm afriad buying private, i brought mine privatly, took a mate who owns his own garage, bribed him with a macdonalds breakfast and a coffee,

But if i had sold my car and a willing buyer had come and driven the car and accepted it, then to be honest, i wouldnt want them contacting me about it :)

Just my view though, should have got one from a dealer or a garage with warranty if you couldnt afford to take the risk, i could so i did :)

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
It just didnt say that you drove it - sorry

Chances of both Clutch and Fly going is quite slim - But i would take the opportunity to upgrade these parts (especially if you are considering remaps,Bt conversions etc)

tom_girl_racer

@ flashbsd yeah thanks for that!!!

@ blackcupraa they were originally upgraded, and have been replaced now just today. but should wear and tear happen that fast?

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
i believe you have rights if you can prove the previous owner knew of the problems.....like posting on here. buying privately isnt as much of a risk as it used to be.

tom_girl_racer

I have a proper receipt for her and all, and have proof of payment, its nothing dodgy. only thing is how do u prove it?

there was 50k on the clock when I bought her, and f ull service history done by the garage he worked in (maybe thats dodgy??)

tom_girl_racer

i'm not too sure on the mileage of the clutch and flywheel, will have to check all the documnts in the car..

@ t18con post the same thing up on the other sites?

BlackCupraa

2.0 BOOST
Sep 18, 2004
Chesterfield
i ask as if they were fitted say 5000 miles ago then id say dodgy fitting - Fair bit of abuse

However if they are say 20k miles old then fair wear and tear (example)

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
tom_girl_racer said:
Folks,

I recently bought a an ibiza cupra r privately owned. He had told me that everything had been changed took a test drive in it he drove it looks all over the car and car seemed in great shape... 3 weeks ago the start motor went, it turned into a major problem with it being the ring gear, fly wheel and the clutch, taking into consideration that the previous owner had no problems with it before and has put everything brand new into it...so he said, and as he is a member on the site i read thru most of his posts before I bought the car. I've tried contacting the previous owner via email, phone calls and txt message but no reply. What would be the best way to sort it out? it it common for all these things to go together? would it have been as they were all pgraded to balanced lightweight fy wheel and and helix organic clutch?
Cheers in advance :)

you saying it had an upgraded flywheel, clutch etc

Is the garage who are telling you this reliable?

very unusual for all this to be wrong unless it started to come off or something.

tom_girl_racer

ok i get ya know... i'll have to try and get in contact with the owner somehow what do u reckon? or is it my own worry now? I dont want to put blame on him just ask him ya know?

tom_girl_racer

yeah they are reliable so i cant see it being a dodgy fitting... that y i'm so confused about it

t18con

Mar 21, 2002
n.i.
Visit site
tom girl racer. look for posts that hes been having problems, etc. but if hes a mechanic, hell hardly be asking for advice,etc. just a thought.

tom_girl_racer

: t18con he wasnt a mechanic was in the dealership part... I looked through all his posts before I purchased the car, and any problems he was having he seemed to have gone straight to the dealer or to autotechnik and places like that.

claudefrog

Oct 23, 2005
At home
www.reallymeansounds.com
tbh, i would just put it down to experience of buying a second hand car, things just do go wrong, e.g cluthces starters etc.. its hard to deal with buying a car and then having to fix faults, but the guy may not have even known they were going to appear.

:)

Jonzy

Your better off contacting the places that have done any work to the car and asking about the history.