Hybrid options - experts please!

ToledoNorthEat

Richy - Full member
Dec 17, 2009
South Shields
Hi Guys and Gals,

I know a few people on here have had some excellent results with GT1749VA-B turbos from a 130 on a 110 so I know that is probably the way to go.

Q1: Is the standard turbo on a 110 ASV is even worth hybriding?

Q2: Got my eye on some bigger injectors, what kind of fuel consumption drop can i expect? I know this has so many affecting factors but I just want an overview. EG on a recent trip to leeds I got around 58 MPG.

Thanks in advance.

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Go for the GT1749VB turbo if you can its got more potential. I have a hybrid VB which was done by CR Turbos.
I have the Bosio R520 'race' injectors which give unbelievable power when I put my foot down, but with careful driving on the M-way I can still get 50mpg. I have been told by my tuner that the engine should be putting out @ 200 bhp

Last edited:

ToledoNorthEat

Richy - Full member
Dec 17, 2009
South Shields
so first things first jasengine...what would you recommend as step 1?

Also can you give an indication of price for the manifold, pipes and injectors + getting them mapped in?

thanks in advance!

Rich

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
so first things first jasengine...what would you recommend as step 1?

Also can you give an indication of price for the manifold, pipes and injectors + getting them mapped in?

thanks in advance!

Rich

Hmmm, depends on how bigger injectors you go for, if you are looking to do one thing at a time and still drive it, I would say turbo (GT1749vb, may be hybrid if you can stretch to it) and then injectors, then remap.

ToledoNorthEat

Richy - Full member
Dec 17, 2009
South Shields
So I could change the turbo without getting it mapped in? Also would the transporter injectors be a good street legal alternative to the ones you have? :p

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
In the beginning....I had .216 'van' injector nozzles and a boost controller which gave a good increase in power, but you get used to it. I then got the hybrid in, but with the same injectors. There was no performace gain, but it would rev a lot higher because it could breathe better with the big turbo. Then once I had the big injectors in, but no remap, it was ok to drive but I had to be careful as the turbo control was a bit eratic. Then once remapped (Malone tuning in Canada) several times, with full throttle runs and taking logs of the timing, boost etc we finally came to the rocketship I have now and I love it!

Last edited:

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
The standard pipe to the inlet of the turbo is a restrictive pipe when you start demading a lot of air, as with a hybrid. So I made up a pipe with silicon and ally bends, I can hear the turbo very clearly when its spooling up :D

Notice I have the intake manifold 180 deg from the standard setup, I did this so the FMIC pipe work would not have such as many bends: Bends in pipework = more restriction.

Last edited:

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
If i decided to go for a GT1749vb or va, what other changes would have to be made? Im guessing i cant just bolt it on.

cheers

A 1749vb will fit on, but the outlet will be different, so you will need to get the 'red' rubber pipe that is fitted to that turbo and the PD150 engine. There is also a bracket that holds the bottom of the turbo to the engine block, which will be different to the one you have now.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.