i fear the worst again .the leon might be goin

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
:cry:[:@]
BIG TURBO PROBLEM
why happen to me!!my turbo now sounds like the worlds biggest supercharger.i have no boost and a weird noise!!this maybe the final nail in the coffin for the leon as its getting to expensive every month.

sept:new clutch £580
oct:waterpump &cambelt £370
nov:god knows!!£££££££££££££££££££££££££££!

booked in at awesome 2moro a.m. for dog bone mount which was gonna be my cheap mod b4 xmas....im really hacked off with the car now and wondering if it will make the 10 mile journey 2moro or not....either way i have to get there!!or is this a bad idea???help guys!!:-o

Last edited:

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
Has a hose come off?
dont think so mate,had a good look around before couldnt see anything obvious,its boosting from negative to 0 but no more and there a slight metaly noise.the whining is really loud tho which is worrying.

if its gonna be more than 300 quid its going but im gonna have to fix it either way.hope it isnt the turbo tho and just me being blind and stupid.it didnt happen under any strain tho it just went????

put my foot down and WOOOOOOO!!thats the noise!!

Seat til I die

Lap Record Holder
Oct 14, 2007
if youve spent all that and then buy a brand new turbo then id think about hangin on to it personally.
i saved a vr6 once, it was nailed. i was practically given it and spent way more than what you just listed.
the VR needed; clutch, gearbox, transmission, starter motor, alternator, tyres and brake discs, i spent more in a month than the car was worth god knows why, but it was a damn good motor by the time i finished, i absolutely loved that car still miss it now tbh

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
How many miles are on it ? Get it repaired properly or think of it as devine intervention and see what opportunities you now have for a hibrid turbo and remap! You might be able to buy a warranty if the mileage and age allow to protect against future bills.

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
How many miles are on it ? Get it repaired properly or think of it as devine intervention and see what opportunities you now have for a hibrid turbo and remap! You might be able to buy a warranty if the mileage and age allow to protect against future bills.

its an 04 lc with 53k on it!!ive always told myself that if somethong like this happens (turbo) replace it with something better,havent got a clue bout what turbos to put on an lc,would have thought the internals couldnt cope with much more power??anyone shed any light on this??

Poverty

1.8T unit is comes with forged pistons as standard. They can take rather fair abuse. Fix this one last thing and your car should be fine for years to come. You have fixed those things that get worn the quickest on performance cars. It would be a shame to ahve spent all that money and not to be able to enjoy it.

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
it does need a new turbo!!:cry:been to awesome this morning to have the dog bone mount done and they said it is dead!!

dont know wether to get the ko4 with all the bits and get it remapped again or just a straight swap???:confused:any advise,either way its ££££!!

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
just buy a 2nd hand k03s for £150. saves all the additional hassle/mods

i think i will tbh,its easy to get carried away thinkin bout more power!!!

turbo dying might have been the reason why top end has been suffering recently too??i best get looking for a k03s then....£150 seems cheap tho?!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
tell you what, I'll pick one up for £150, and sell it to you for something more reasonable :) £300?

It's just a case of looking in the right places.

I'd also think about what & why it's failled (it might just have failled...) but oil starvation, debris etc would want to be considered

Cupraloon

probably worth getting it diagnosed properly before spending out unecasarily...

But just in case there are a couple of K03's on fleebay currently for not a lot of money..

chriswilks

Astra CDTi track car
Jun 3, 2007
warrington cheshire
tell you what, I'll pick one up for £150, and sell it to you for something more reasonable :) £300?

It's just a case of looking in the right places.

I'd also think about what & why it's failled (it might just have failled...) but oil starvation, debris etc would want to be considered

what the best way to diagnose it??im guessing its to take it off??is there anything i should look out for??

cuprarstevefitz

hi there just reading bout your turbo problem and was wondering if it was what i had, bout 12 months ago was racing a chavalier, not much of a fight ill grant you but all of a sudden i had this terrible exhaust blowing sound, i pulled over had a look under the bonnet and it was coming from the turbo. it sounded like the exhaust has fallen off there and then

took it took a local garage in the morn they got it up on the ramps took the sump cover off and said it was the turbo gasket much to my horror.

So second opinion i went down the road to skoda, no seat near me, and they got it up on the ramps took the cover off again and said to me is this supposed to be plugged in? a hose had come loose from the back of the turbo, not exactly sure what it was but a huge relief!!

Just wondering if that helps mate.

shauncupra

Jun 19, 2007
Norwich,Norfolk
hi there, mine made a huge pop one day same simtoms no boost, loud noise from the turbo, and all what had happend is the sur-clip that connects the turbo to exhaust had come off and it was simply a case of getting underneath the car on ramps and placing the sur-clip back in place... s**t design really but its been fine since.. that happend abount 9 months ago...
hope this helps mate.

Stubbo

Nov 8, 2007
Stoke on Trent
hi there just reading bout your turbo problem and was wondering if it was what i had, bout 12 months ago was racing a chavalier, not much of a fight ill grant you but all of a sudden i had this terrible exhaust blowing sound, i pulled over had a look under the bonnet and it was coming from the turbo. it sounded like the exhaust has fallen off there and then

took it took a local garage in the morn they got it up on the ramps took the sump cover off and said it was the turbo gasket much to my horror.

So second opinion i went down the road to skoda, no seat near me, and they got it up on the ramps took the cover off again and said to me is this supposed to be plugged in? a hose had come loose from the back of the turbo, not exactly sure what it was but a huge relief!!

Just wondering if that helps mate.
I had the same sort of problem but it was a sensor that was in the turbo on the outlet side that had come out don't know what it was for, looked like a temp sensor but i could be wrong.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Sorry, can i ask one other question, is it nothing to do with the mainiolfd bolts becoming loose. Quite common on certain 1.8T's for the manifold bolts to stretch or just come loose so the turbo is not fuly sealed, sound all metalicy and looses power and boost . Quite common on mk4 Ibiza's and also on the mk4 golf's. I would never assume turbo is fooked until i had removed it. Plus not a good idea to dirive it till sorted. As if it is turbo fooked and say the blades have broken up, the fragments will only go one place, and that inside the engine which will then be really really expensive.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise