I prefer the older Leons

HarveyGTI

I am sure I am gunna get shot down in flames here, but hey its my opinion, but i actually prefer the older Leon Cupra's i.e. 2001 plate

i think with a little imagination these can have a really nice euro look about them and have that nice understated look....hence i am buying one this week

your views please?

i am sure i will be the minority here as most people on here have the newer facelifted cupras and R's

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I too prefer the later ones, they look fresher and more modern to me. I don't think any car that is considered a 'sports' car or hot-hatch should have black, unpainted bump strips.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I like both to be honest. I have a pre-facelift model, its my third Leon Cupra. If you can find a 2001 AUQ engined car with rain-sensor and leather electric memory seats, you're onto a winner. Hen's teeth in good condition and by far and away the highest spec Leons ever built.

The only ones I don't like are extreme blue painted cars. Colour doesn't suit the car at all IMO.

HarveyGTI

I like both to be honest. I have a pre-facelift model, its my third Leon Cupra. If you can find a 2001 AUQ engined car with rain-sensor and leather electric memory seats, you're onto a winner. Hen's teeth in good condition and by far and away the highest spec Leons ever built.

The only ones I don't like are extreme blue painted cars. Colour doesn't suit the car at all IMO.

thats what i am picking up next Sunday Ross, black 2001 Leon Cupra with leather etc and all the toys

much better specced than the later Leons i think, and besides i prefer the older Leons now, as they are quite rare, like the Ibiza cupras and are very understated, allowing the element of surprise to other drivers when you put your foot down!

dont get me wrong, i do love the LCR's but they to me are too obvious....im never one to follow a crowd and always aim to be a little different

i think for the price i am picking the Leon up for, i am getting ALOT of car for my money

cant wait!!:D

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
thats what i am picking up next Sunday Ross, black 2001 Leon Cupra with leather etc and all the toys

much better specced than the later Leons i think, and besides i prefer the older Leons now, as they are quite rare, like the Ibiza cupras and are very understated, allowing the element of surprise to other drivers when you put your foot down!

dont get me wrong, i do love the LCR's but they to me are too obvious....im never one to follow a crowd and always aim to be a little different

i think for the price i am picking the Leon up for, i am getting ALOT of car for my money

cant wait!!:D

Great post, very true mate. We see all too many Leons with a set of 5 spokes and some Cupra-R bumpers.

I was considering getting a set of RS6 replica 5 spokes for mine but for exactly the reasons you've stated, I decided against it. A few owners on the site have these wheels on their cars now and thats why I'm not going to. I'm spending the cash on a Blueflame or Milltek turbo back instead.

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
Hardly think your following a crowd getting a LCR, theres probably 10x more cupras on the road. You buy an LCR for the drive not just too stand out. Just my 2 pence anyway.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
i know what you mean!
not every knows what you have under the bonnet espcially when you debadge it!

Tell a cupar r miles away due to the bodykit!

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
I don't think he meant that mate. The original LC is much more of a "sleeper" whereas the LCR is very obviously a quick car judging by its appearance.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Harvey - Be honest when answering this... if you had the chance to buy a Leon Cupra R with the same options (leather etc) with the same mileage and condition as your Cupra, would you turn it down just to be different?

Take into consideration the better performance, handling, braking etc and be honest now.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
i know what you mean!
not every knows what you have under the bonnet espcially when you debadge it!

Not if its a derv FR!

I must admit sleepers are great but they soon get found out and they stand out more than a kitted up car sometimes (had two sleepers in my time). Plus with the Leon you dont know if its standard or IHI'd etc.

The main bonus with the older shape ones is you can leave them in the carpark and no one will look twice and you dont worry about it as much, which is a big thing i miss

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
That's a good point. Anybody that knows even a little about cars will realise what it is.... if the Cupra badges and wheels doesn't give it away.

Cupra Ross

May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Purely my own opinion here, this is my take on it.

If I were to buy a Cupra R, I'd end up changing exhaust suspension brakes etc over time. For the reduced purchase price of a solid mk1 Cupra and suitably modded over time, you'll have a car that is individual and will outperform, outhandle and brake better than any standard Cupra R. The basic engine is essentially the same unless you're tuning to ridiculous lengths where you'd need to change pistons and conrods on both Cupra and Cupra R.

When I'm done with mine, it'll be handling, braking and on the same power as a similarly modded Cupra R but it'll have cost me £3-4k less for the same result, body kit notwithstanding.

My plans are, in no particular order:

Turbo-back exhaust
Forge FMIC
GT28 series turbo with injectors/FPR/mapping to suit
S3 MAF
KW coilovers
18" wheels
Tarox 6 pot brakes
Custom Leather Interior re-trim

I'd have to spend exactly the same amount upgrading an LCR so when I decided to buy another Leon, I decided on a mk1 Cupra. Same result, less money. If I do decide to go for LCR bumpers, they'll cost me roughly £700 so at a rough guess, I've saved about £3k by not buying an LCR.

Those were my reasons for going Cupra vs LCR. Others will be different but its a sound plan in my opinion.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I too prefer the later ones, they look fresher and more modern to me. I don't think any car that is considered a 'sports' car or hot-hatch should have black, unpainted bump strips.

leave my bump strips alone :bleh:

i think both look good but still prefer the understated looks of the pre facelift.

modders dream.

the post face lift looks more aggressive but uprate the suspension and maybe fatter wheels and its older brother starts looking a different animal.

both better looking than there rivals.

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
i know what you mean!

Not always an LCR though, too many planks put the Cupra R bumpers etc on 1.4, 1.6s, 1.8s N/A or TDI 90/110s and ruin the look. Thats just my personal opinion.

I think the mk1 Toledo/Leon is a lot nicer than the newer Mk2. Yes the mk2 has the more modern look but the whole package just isn't the same. I think its almost a step down a class with the lower quality plastics etc. Nice range of engines though :D

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Not always an LCR though, too many planks put the Cupra R bumpers etc on 1.4, 1.6s, 1.8s N/A or TDI 90/110s and ruin the look. Thats just my personal opinion.

I think the mk1 Toledo/Leon is a lot nicer than the newer Mk2. Yes the mk2 has the more modern look but the whole package just isn't the same. I think its almost a step down a class with the lower quality plastics etc. Nice range of engines though :D

yeh cupra r body kit does look nices but my opnion they would only suite turbo models, imgine 1.6 with cupra r bodykit, lines up with s3 or vtec at the lights, guess who gona win? spoiling the rep of cupra's. :banned:

i dnt lke the mk2 leon body but i like they dash boards and clocks!

HarveyGTI

Harvey - Be honest when answering this... if you had the chance to buy a Leon Cupra R with the same options (leather etc) with the same mileage and condition as your Cupra, would you turn it down just to be different?

Take into consideration the better performance, handling, braking etc and be honest now.

to be honest, I orginally wanted an LCR, as i will be "honest" lol, they do look very nice as standard

But for an LCR you are at least talking £5000 more over the older Leons

the Leon i am getting has everything i want, climate control, leather interior etc etc and all the toys

bit hard to compare really as of course the Leon i am getting is a lot cheaper than an LCR, and still as mentioned earlier, a lot of money for your car

with the right mods... i.e. the euro look, it can look just as good as an LCR, and IMO better, because it is more understated....sometimes i find more understated cars are nicer as it is only a true petrol head that they stand out to

i see alot more LCR's than i do old leons, hence another reason for my choice of going for the older Leon, certainly a minority

so in answer to your question, yes i want the older Leon

madness to some people, but i have a vision of what it will look like when it is finished:D

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
I'm the opposite of a lot of you it seems - I had to get the LCR as I think the standard leon looks rubbish.

Still, its good we all like different things, would be crap otherwise!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members