i think i have a faulty fuel sender unit

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
Must say I mentioned level sensor may be faulty, sound like what people say with ad blue gauges problem we have with HGV. The driver is convinced he is using more and keeps topping it up paranoid he will run out but it was the level sensor every time. Obviously this is not the same thing but as you changed other bits it can't be the car using fuel.

exactly aimes. tbh i think al replace it anyway, yeh some of you will be saying what a waste of £110 but at the end of the day al b happier knowing that its changed. its 8 years old after all could possibly be dodgy.

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
Look under the back seat (as someone suggested), lift the large blanking piece, and you'll see the sender and pump unit, with a plastic 4 pin connector. Remove this (It's a bit like when the manual says 'Remove the engine' !).
You have to push in a dimple on the inner casing*, accessed through the hole on the side of the connector, to unlock it, then pull it off. Connect a (say**) 500 ohm 'pot' or variable resistor across pins 2 and 3 (middle pair) of the connector (Use strips of brass, replicating the pins on the tank unit). If you then, with ignition on, wind the pot from one end to the other, the gauge should follow. If it does, either the sender is faulty, or you had a bad connection to the sender pins. If it doesn't follow, it's either the gauge or the wiring to it.
* There must be a proper tool, but I made a shallow 'G' cramp, which fitted the connector body, with a 2BA screw to push in the dimple.
** The value isn't critical, I think the sender is somewhere inside this value, and you won't do any harm if it's different. I hope this helps and is correct - no guarantee!!!

Edward9th

Jul 22, 2009
Dorset
No help, I know, but I went onto 'reserve', called in to a Sainsbury's filling station, and the pump managed to put in over 48 litres (it said!).
I got a refund.

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
yeh think i did and don't think it made a difference, can't remember tbh. think it stopped the gauge bobbling around. but honestly can't be sure. my lead foot was the main problem i think

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.