Ibiza 2014 6j-glove box removal-any help?

Jase

Dec 3, 2017
Dear All,

Hope everyone is ok!.

I think I am going to have to remove the glove box, I have a ticking/clicking noise coming from the glovebox area. I think its the recirc motor/flap.

The car I inherited from my wife, who now drives an Arona, both cars purchased from local Seat dealer. I reached out to them using the valued customer if they could provide any help or pointers (deep down I knew what their response would be but thought I would ask!). Anyway they came back with a rough cost of fixing £275 with about a £120 diagnosis charge, I went back thanks but no thanks, can you help me out another way?- they gave me a part number for the motor!.

Anyway, has anyone removed the glove box before?, where do I start? how many screws?. I think I am just gonna have to take a look and remove screw after screw.

Many Thanks

Jason

Jase

Dec 3, 2017
Hi Jay, Thanks for your messages, sorry not replied earlier. Will take a look at the guide, the part number is 6R2907511A Seat Dealer price £151.84 Seat Direct parts £124.36 either way alot of money for such a small bit (Hey Ho). You seem like you are heading towards attempting it yourself, if you get anywhere would love to hear from you. I can confirm that this issue is not linked to the air conditioning as had it regassed over the weekend, nice and cold but still got the ticking noise. Perhaps thats one avenue eliminated!.

Cheers

Jason

Oct 27, 2021
No probs :) The air conditioning is working fine, its just as you say the clicking sound. Took the glove box out yesterday and can see the cog. But looks like the cogs above and below are missing a couple of teeth but not sure if that is actually affecting the central cog as could be the motor in all likelyhood but to be honest its looks a nightmare to get to. Might have to give it a go as don't want to be dealer prices

Jase

Dec 3, 2017
Jay, these pictures may help to get a grip of whats what?. the new motor has teeth missing not sure if you mean additional teeth are missing?

Jason

Attachments

• 5F9F8CA1-2700-4700-B324-C915D6331AF4.jpeg
    5F9F8CA1-2700-4700-B324-C915D6331AF4.jpeg
    510.6 KB · Views: 90
  • BE53B27D-5F32-40BD-BC30-C36EAE440DB3.jpeg
    BE53B27D-5F32-40BD-BC30-C36EAE440DB3.jpeg
    537 KB · Views: 91
  • 6R2907511A.jpg
    6R2907511A.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 90

Jase

Dec 3, 2017
Jay, these pictures may help to get a grip of whats what?. the new motor has teeth missing not sure if you mean additional teeth are missing?

Jason
These pictures were sent to me and not my own

Oct 27, 2021
Hi, many thanks. I meant the white gears that the red one turns, they had teeth missing.

Pretty sure they weren't causing the issue, will try and find and how to guide to change that motor. But access is very limited

Jase

Dec 3, 2017
Hi, many thanks. I meant the white gears that the red one turns, they had teeth missing.

Pretty sure they weren't causing the issue, will try and find and how to guide to change that motor. But access is very limited
Hi Jay, just wondering if you have got any further with this?. I have not had a chance to revisit it yet! cheers Jason

PS Where in the Country are you?

Oct 27, 2021
It's actually my sons car so haven't got around to looking at it again as he's been using it, I am down the south.

Going to take another look at it in a weeks time and see whats what.

And next time I am going to disconnect the battery as have had the airbag light come on

Oct 27, 2021
I am going to be following this guide this week and see how I get on

Oct 27, 2021
Amazingly after all this time I got around to doing it.

Take about 30 mins to get the motor out and twice that to put it back.

I found out the cause of the motor problem. The motor was shot but the reason why is because on the upper white gear there is a tooth missing and when the gears are turning it is causing the motor to strain thus premature failure. The missing tooth also caused the bottom cog to jump over time all the way to the end of its travel so it was never opening the bottom air flap.

If I was to do it again I would take the fan out as I think it would be a lot easier to aid refixing the motor.

All refitted and silence again, for how long I don't know but I now know what the issues were.

I don't know if you can buy those white cogs themselves? Wonder if a 3D printed part would be durable enough?

Jase

Dec 3, 2017
Amazingly after all this time I got around to doing it.

Take about 30 mins to get the motor out and twice that to put it back.

I found out the cause of the motor problem. The motor was shot but the reason why is because on the upper white gear there is a tooth missing and when the gears are turning it is causing the motor to strain thus premature failure. The missing tooth also caused the bottom cog to jump over time all the way to the end of its travel so it was never opening the bottom air flap.

If I was to do it again I would take the fan out as I think it would be a lot easier to aid refixing the motor.

All refitted and silence again, for how long I don't know but I now know what the issues were.

I don't know if you can buy those white cogs themselves? Wonder if a 3D printed part would be durable enough?
Hi mate well done on having a go!,wish we lived closer you could do mine lol!

Reactions: Jay6565
Oct 27, 2021

Following this video it was all pretty straight forward :

The reason it took me a lot longer to put it back together was because right at the top where it clips in Seat had cable tied some large cable near by and it was stopping the clip from clipping in properly. After much frustration and two cut fingers I saw it. Pushed it to one side and it went straight in

sparkplug

Apr 6, 2023
As a newbie who was wondering what that strange clicking sound was and why the condensation in the car is terrible as the air doesn't seem to flow where it should, this thread has been a revelation!

Thanks for posting up the info of the pain you've had to go through. Hopefully it will help make the job easier for me and for others in future.

Reactions: Jay6565

Sic2014

Apr 7, 2023
Hello,

I have a rattling/tapping noise coming from that area, but only when the engine is warm and on idle (like in traffic lights). Could the source of it be this worn gear too? AC and everything is working just fine.

Oct 27, 2021
AC was working fine on my sons car. The tapping used to occur when going into reverse gear or when turning the engine on

sparkplug

Apr 6, 2023
AC was working fine on my sons car. The tapping used to occur when going into reverse gear or when turning the engine on
I get the tapping noise when I turn the engine on from cold and it sounds a bit like ticking, but I also get it when reversing (not always, but more often than not) and it sound more like a knocking. I thought it might be to do with the power steering (it still might be - I haven't investigated yet!)

However, my AC isn't OK. The car is always warmer than it should be and even on the cold setting with the AC on I get (slightly) warm air out of the vents.

Again, could be an unrelated problem.

I have a journey ahead of me, which is why it's great to share our experiences. I'll be sure to share mine in another thread too. Just grateful to this one which has given me the confidence to attempt a repair before spending money on a replacement part.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.