Ibiza Cupra Mk5 IS38 or LM440 IS20

Migi

Feb 20, 2015
Hi,

My first post here. Been a long time lurker reading this forum for quite some time. Sorry if there is a thread for this already, I did not find direct answers :)

I am running a Ibiza Cupra 2016 with Revo stage 2 in Finland. Milltek full exhaust, Wagner comp IC and Racingline intake kit. I initally scratch the idea to go for a turbo swap, but now I want to do it :)

So I have been doing research and the options at the moment are the LM440 IS20 or a slightly modified IS38. What would be the recommemdation here? I know the LM440 Is20 is praised here but theter around 800€ price difference even with customs on the Lm440 and IS38.

The IS38:
https://blaast-turbo-factory.myshop...-2-0l-vw-golf-7-r-1-8l?variant=28173370359885

I was looking at the upgraded version + oem fixes:
- Turbine housing w/updated wastegate mechanism (won't seize like OEM turbos do)

- Solid scroll compressor housing (problematic OEM's internal plastic pad eliminated!)

-BiLLET COMPRESSOR WHEEL: 50,5 x 68mm (stock is only 44,9 x 57mm)

-TURBINE IMPERLLER: 49 x 56mm (stock is only 47 x 54mm)

The price is ~1000$

The LM440 IS20:
I was looking at the Kolbenkraft tuning LM440 IS20 hybrid. Also to mention they have Awsome service on whatsapp! Helped me forward a lot!!

Obviously the IS38 will wake up around 500rpm later and will pull longer atleast looking at the APR figures for EA888 gen.3. But then again the Lm440 IS20 would get the best from both worlds. My wife still uses the car as a daily so for her the 500rpm later would be better :drive2:

The main reason for wondering is the whopping 800€ price difference (I could almost get the differential with that!), but I am ready to spend more on the turbo to get the best for the car.

So any adwise or first hand experience from my fellow Cupra people on which turbo would be suited better? Any big differences with the spool up times or powerband?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members