Ibiza FR 95

Mike Coulter

Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
Well after waiting and waiting for a new Fabia I ordered to arrive, I went next door and moved my deposit to this. In stock and new with a rather good discount on it.

Picked it up yesterday, and we’re really happy with it. And this little engine sounds great, never had a 3-pot before.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!

vABzxTH

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
The blue is great! I was torn between the blue and desire red, went with the red in the end. But those two colours are definitely the best ones on the Ibiza!

In terms of tips and tricks- get your phone hooked up with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, and never bother with the built in satnav. It's rubbish in comparison to Google Maps! Other than that, not really much to say. I've found the little 1.0 TSI to be a gem of an engine, it's efficient and good to drive. The LED lights are also awesome, so much better than the halogens I had in my previous Fabia. Having had a 2016 Fabia before my Ibiza, I'd definitely say that the Ibiza is the better car by far. It feels far more upmarket than the Fabia and more like a car from the class above.

One thing I would recommend is fitting the central armrest if you do long drives. Mine came with it as it's an Xcellence Lux but a friend has a normal FR and he says he wants it! It's easy to fit and gives a useful little cubby for things like sunglassess cases.

Mike Coulter

Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
The blue is great! I was torn between the blue and desire red, went with the red in the end. But those two colours are definitely the best ones on the Ibiza!

In terms of tips and tricks- get your phone hooked up with Android Auto/Apple CarPlay, and never bother with the built in satnav. It's rubbish in comparison to Google Maps! Other than that, not really much to say. I've found the little 1.0 TSI to be a gem of an engine, it's efficient and good to drive. The LED lights are also awesome, so much better than the halogens I had in my previous Fabia. Having had a 2016 Fabia before my Ibiza, I'd definitely say that the Ibiza is the better car by far. It feels far more upmarket than the Fabia and more like a car from the class above.

One thing I would recommend is fitting the central armrest if you do long drives. Mine came with it as it's an Xcellence Lux but a friend has a normal FR and he says he wants it! It's easy to fit and gives a useful little cubby for things like sunglassess cases.

Thanks! Yes I was torn between those two colours too, to be honest I wouldn’t have minded either.

I’ve hooked up CarPlay, I’m actually amazed how good that is. WhatsApp reading out my messages? Bizarre!

Also, I agree on the armrest, currently messaging RPS to order one. Had one on my Golf and I miss it.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
I’ve hooked up CarPlay, I’m actually amazed how good that is. WhatsApp reading out my messages? Bizarre!

My Fabia had it too. I didn't think anything of it when I was getting the car, and then about an hour after getting the car I was hooked! I 100% would not even consider a car without it now. Google Maps is wonderful, especially as it syncs to places you've searched. And a long press on the voice control button brings up your phone's assistant (either Siri or Google Assistant) so you can tell it to send a text, navigate to somewhere specific, or play something.

Mike Coulter

Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
My Fabia had it too. I didn't think anything of it when I was getting the car, and then about an hour after getting the car I was hooked! I 100% would not even consider a car without it now. Google Maps is wonderful, especially as it syncs to places you've searched. And a long press on the voice control button brings up your phone's assistant (either Siri or Google Assistant) so you can tell it to send a text, navigate to somewhere specific, or play something.
Yes I found that by accident haha. One thing I couldn’t work out, can Siri navigate you somewhere using Google maps? When I ask it reverts to Apple maps which I don’t often bother with.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
The arm rest is a must, don't know why they don't put one in the FR. I changed all the interior bulbs to LED ones which makes a difference. Also, unless they have changed it, the ambient lighting on the doors interior can be changed between red and white but the footwells can only be white. I purchased a replacement LED unit on Ebay in red as I think the red looks nicer than the white with a warmer look. Also the indicators are still bulbs, at least in the back for you. Change them to silver indicators which look nicer. Enjoy your new car :)

Reactions: Mike Coulter

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
I'm not sure, I use Android!

Re the ambient lighting, I've let it as white in the footwells with red strips in the doors. Looks great IMO.

I keep meaning to buy some CANBUS compatible LED bulbs for the rear indicators.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Re the ambient lighting, I've let it as white in the footwells with red strips in the doors. Looks great IMO.

I keep meaning to buy some CANBUS compatible LED bulbs for the rear indicators.

All down to personal taste I guess :) The indicator bulbs don't need to be canbus I don't think. I just bought a cheap peair from Ebay - Work fine

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
For LED ones? I thought they would be. Indicator bulbs are normally monitored and the speed of the flashes changes if one is out or the resistance is 'wrong'.

The headlamps are full LED, as are the tail lamps and brake lights, but the fogs and rear indicator bulbs aren't. I think it's to do with minimising variations- the same fogs are used on all cars, LED lights or halogen.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
What car did you have prior to this Ibiza? Depending on what you had before, would determine if you find the 95PS 1.0 'adequate' or not.
I went from a 2.0TDI 150 to a 1.0EcoTSI 110 Mk5 facelift, so in the city I found the power more than sufficient, but on the highway, it's not as powerful as the TDI. Had you taken the Fabia, I believe you would have had the same VAG 1.0TSI engine. Ibiza looks way better though...

Mike Coulter

Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
What car did you have prior to this Ibiza? Depending on what you had before, would determine if you find the 95PS 1.0 'adequate' or not.
I went from a 2.0TDI 150 to a 1.0EcoTSI 110 Mk5 facelift, so in the city I found the power more than sufficient, but on the highway, it's not as powerful as the TDI. Had you taken the Fabia, I believe you would have had the same VAG 1.0TSI engine. Ibiza looks way better though...
Well the Fabia I had on order was a lowly 1.0 MPI so this is a big improvement.

I’ve had a varied car history in terms of power-
Citroen Saxo 1.1i
VW Golf 1.4s MK4
Audi S3 1.8T (mapped to 260bhp)
Audi S5 4.2 V8
VW Golf GTD 2.0 MK7
Renault Clio 1.5 DCI (Sold the Golf and bought this as a runabout while waiting for the non-existent Fabia)
And now the 95bhp Ibiza.

Power seems fine to me and more importantly it sounds great! I missed having an interesting engine note since owning my S5. It has a little get up and go about it but obviously I’m still running it in as patiently as I can.

Mike Coulter

Jun 13, 2020
United Kingdom
Small trip required to the dealer, it’s set to variable servicing rather than fixed, slightly annoying but oh well no big deal.

The car has now covered about 130 miles and I’m not sure if it’s in my head or not but it’s starting to feel much more eager to move off.

One thing I am not used to yet though is the lack of engine braking, having had two diesels recently they’d really slow down when you lifted off the accelerator, this feels like it’s coasting!

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Well after waiting and waiting for a new Fabia I ordered to arrive, I went next door and moved my deposit to this. In stock and new with a rather good discount on it.

Picked it up yesterday, and we’re really happy with it. And this little engine sounds great, never had a 3-pot before.

Any hints or tips greatly appreciated!

vABzxTH

How are you enjoying the FR ? I'm currently driving a 200hp Astra and have decided to downsize car/engine wise.
Im not wanting the power so much these days , mpg is more important as working perm from home now. The Astra is ok on a run but poor around town so after a smallish car now with better mpg. Your FR looks a perfect model for me , will have to take a trip to local dealer sometime.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.