Ibiza ST FR Towbar Installation

Sep 28, 2020
Hello all

New to the forum here and looking for some advice if possible please. Apologies if this has already been covered in another thread, I did do a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I'm in the process of installing a towbar for my girlfriends dad on his Ibiza FR estate 1.6 Tdi (2012). I have the towbar installed and the bumper cut and re-fitted, it's just the wiring left to sort out. The towbar wiring is a universal kit. I have the cables from the tow socket routed into the boot area on the right side, behind the boot lining/carpet. They can be accessed by removing the plastic grill/cover that gives you access to the rear light cluster connector. It's in this area I intend to locate the bypass relay that interfaces the car wiring with the towbar wiring.

Has anyone installed one of these on this model before? The advice I'm looking for is as follows:

1: Does anyone have the wiring diagrams for this model? I've pinned out the wiring to the rear lights and think it is as follows but it would be nice to see a wiring diagram to confirm:
(Rear lighting clusters are split between wing and boot lid, each has a 4 pin connector that pushes onto the lighting unit)

Rear Near Side Wing Lights:
Core 1: Black/White - Left side Indicator
Core 2: Black/Red - Brake Light
Core 3: Black/Purple - Left Side Running Lights
Core 4: Brown - GND (0v)

Rear Near Side Boot Lid Lights:
Core 1: Purple/White - Rear Fog Light
Core 2: Black/Purple - Left Side Running Lights
Core 3: Brown - GND (0v)
Core 4: Green/Blue - Reversing Light

Rear Off Side Wing Lights:
Core 1: Brown - GND(0v)
Core 2: Black/Red - Brake Light
Core 3: Red/Purple - Right Side Running Lights
Core 4: Black/Green - Right Side Indicator

Rear Off Side Boot Lid Lights:
Core 1: Green/Blue - Reversing Light
Core 2: Brown -GND(0v)
Core 3: Red/Purple - Right Side Running Lights
Core 4: Purple/White - Fog Lights

2: Is there anywhere in the wiring loom that all the above cores come together that would be an easy place to connect the bypass relay? I had some of the trim on either side of the boot removed and followed the wiring down each side of the car until the rear seats so they don't appear to converge before then. The bypass relay comes with a pre-installed set of tails for connecting to the car wiring loom, however they are only around a foot in length so not long enough to route through the boot and make connections on either side of the car. Also, as the reversing lights and rear fog lights are only present in the lighting clusters on the boot lid the cores for these must enter the car behind the roof lining? My thoughts currently are that it might be easier for me to make up a wiring loom extension for the bypass relay and route it through the boot, picking up each core at the lighting clusters on either side of the car. This still leaves me with the issue of finding the cores for the reversing and rear fog light as they enter the car from the boot lid. Just thought I'd check in case there is an easier way to do it that I'm missing? My other concern is if the cores pass through multi-pin connectors along their route they may change colour?

3: The bypass relay requires a permanent live feed directly from the battery. Could anyone advise the easiest/best route to get a cable from the boot of the car through to the engine bay? I had a quick look and couldn't see any obvious routes through the bulkhead although did notice the cable for the bonnet catch runs through to the operating handle in the passengers foot well so this may be a potential route?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Hello Cameron. I have a 2016 1.0 litre Ibiza ST and a small two wheel 5 ft by 3 ft unbraked trailer (half ton) I've fitted tow bars for it to my last 4 cars and I was thinking of fitting one to the Ibiza as I don't have a car with a tow bar at this time. Fitting the bar itself doesn't worry me but the electrics do. Mine has LED rear lights which worries me somewhat but I'm also just a little worried about how tough the 5 speed gearbox is. It's as rattly as an old bag of bolts! I've investigated this and it appears they are all like this - mine, apparently, is by no means all that noisy! Anyway I'm now thinking of fitting it to my second car -2010 Fiat Panda - which has conventional lights and I'm not frightened to wire it up using a bypass relay setup. Front to rear routing will be simple too through the internal plastic sill covers.

So, all I can do is wish you good luck with your installation - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Is there any mileage on buying a bespoke wiring kit for that car, do towbar suppliers not offer that (at a price) - they seem to do for other VW Group models even taking away the issue when a car has rear parking sensors so that they switch off automatically when the trailer is plugged in. SEAT should offer a wiring kit as well as VW group's preferred towing stuff supplier who is probably Westfalia?

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Is there any mileage on buying a bespoke wiring kit for that car, do towbar suppliers not offer that (at a price) - they seem to do for other VW Group models even taking away the issue when a car has rear parking sensors so that they switch off automatically when the trailer is plugged in. SEAT should offer a wiring kit as well as VW group's preferred towing stuff supplier who is probably Westfalia?
I looked at a genuine VAG bespoke kit when I did the Cordoba but the price was just too unreasonable so I'd not considered it for the Ibiza. I probably should explore the possibility though? Of course that wouldn't get round me worrying about the Ibiza's gearbox. So, on balance, I think I'll be going with the Panda. Thanks for bringing that up though RUM.

Just remembered there's a branch of Indespension on London road - isn't there? Less than half ah hour away for me even with all the tram works mucking things up. Think I'll stick my head in the door and explore all the options.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Sorry Crossthreaded I was aiming that posting mainly at Cameron123 as it sounded like you had gone more for the Panda approach.

I'm not along London Road much these days, but yes I remember one being there - and at McMerry? Maybe there are more towing placing around nowadays.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.