Has anyone retro fitted a parking sensor kit to a mk5 ibiza toca? I was wondering if it was a bumper off job and if anyone had a kit that was recommended?
I have ordered up the same sensor kit but an 11/16th inch punch for making the hole as they are slightly smaller than the 17.5mm at 17.46mm and a fair degree cheaper. Still .46mm too big but judging by the other thread it shouldn't be a problem!
This is fairly simple to do on a Sunday morning. The bumper does not need to come off. All holes are drilled in the black plastic bottom strip. The spacings I used were copied off a Seat Ibiza Toca fitted system, and were 220mm and 600mm from the centre of the bumper both sides respectively. I used a very good system from eBay called a Veyron vs-4.
Remember to put masking or other tape over the drilling area, mark with a pen and use the cutter supplied. Remember to extract to cut out piece of bumper from the cutter before drilling the next hole. As I remember there is a rubber bung in the valance to pass the wires through so you can wire into the reversing light. No problems !
Wiring the control box up is pretty simple, strip off the boot carpet on the left hand side and the loom you need to splice in to is right there along with an earth stud.
Feed the wires for the sensors through the number plate light grommet which is also located in the same area.
Next I whipped the bumper off, as I was using a flush sensor kit that was used on the leon above I had to. I placed the middle two sensors with a 500mm pitch and the outside ones 450mm out from these.
I wasnt happy with the hole size from the qmax 11/16in punch, its OD measured 17.7mm as its designed for 17.5mm + clearance. I popped it in the drill and used it as a getto lathe to turn it down to 17.0mm. This gave a snug fit so I would recommend buying the correct 17.0mm punch and not being a cheapskate like I was.
Really happy with the results, looks OEM rather than an after thought.
Heres a pic of one of the sensors installed and the parking scuff that caused parking sensors to be purchased. The sensors will get sprayed up when the bumper gets resprayed.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.